Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Grolsch bottles losing carbonation when refrigerated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
a0628h0427
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grolsch bottles losing carbonation when refrigerated

Have a batch of hefeweizen that was bottled on 3/25/2012. It has been bottle conditioning between 70-80 degrees since bottled. I used grolsch bottles - some older that I've used before, and some from a new batch I bought. Everything in the old bottles has been fine, but the beer in the new bottles loses carbonation when refrigerated. I have checked the new bottles unrefrigerated, and the beer seems fine. Could the seals on the bottles shrink because of the cold and lose their tight seal? I'm stumped. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks,
Cody

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Did you replace the gaskets? They are cheap enough that I change them everytime.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Real simple (and possibly dangerous) way to check one:

Vinegar + baking soda = lots of CO2. Put a little of that in a sealed bottle and it will pressurize quickly. Dunk it in a bucket of cold water and look for bubbles.

This is very much a "less is better" science experiment. Put to much in the bottle and you have a bottle bomb. Pop the top *before* you take it out of the bucket.

Bob

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
a0628h0427
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71
Did you replace the gaskets? They are cheap enough that I change them everytime.
Hammy - They were brand new, never used before this batch. The strange thing is the old bottles with used gaskets are fine.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
BeerLoverHere
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I dab each of my bottle top rims with a sanitized water solution before closing. This wet barrier acts as a better seal than a dry one from my experience. Since I've been doing that, all my bottles have never lost carbonation. Before I'd say 1 out of every 8 or so had a bad seal. Hope this works for u too!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0628h0427 View Post
Hammy - They were brand new, never used before this batch. The strange thing is the old bottles with used gaskets are fine.
I had the exact same issue a few years ago with bottles that I bought new from my LHBS. I finally figured out that the wire bail was made in a way that I could not get a decent seal on it. It would seal and then once the handle passed the full seal point it would continue and then allow for a poor seal. It ended up being a poor design flaw & I ended up scrapping them.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
SledgeH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The seals on Groslch bottles seem to be a much spongier rubber than the LHBS bottles I feel. I have several of both. Grolsh however, tends to be cheaper than the LHBS type and Grolsh fills theirs up with beer! There is no way to tell how long the LHBS bottles have sat there. I'd still try picking up a new package of gaskets (they are usually sealed in a plastic bag). The ones now might just be old despite being new... That sounds dumb, but for a couple of dollars it's worth trying to salvage 30 dollars worth of flip top bottles right?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
a0628h0427
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to try some new gaskets to see if I can salvage the bottles.

Quick Reply