Grolsch bottles = GREAT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBrothaRick

Reaction score
I just bought and tasted my first bottle of Grolsch. Taste is ok, kinda Heineken and then some, but what an amazing bottle. Wow, if they came in amber they would be the homebrewer's dream. Since I'm still so new to brewing that I don't have anything yet of my own on tap, I think I'll focus my drinkin these until I make a batch-sized set of empty Grolsch bottles. They are 16 oz bottles BTW.

My sister has a shop selling reclaimed pine furniture and a lot of her supplies come from the Dutch.They arrive in the UK with a lorry load of pine furniture.
They also bring a good supply of Grolsch.It costs us £17.50 for a crate of 16 bottles(supplies are very limited though as it sells quickly;) )

:D :D :D

BrewBrothaRick said:
I just bought and tasted my first bottle of Grolsch. Taste is ok, kinda Heineken and then some, but what an amazing bottle
The bottles are nice but not worth the effort of drinking the sh*te that is Grolsch! Don't forget those seals need replacing - HBS do sell them. I'd rather drink better stuff, save those bottles and use a capper!:)

I got a bunch of these to give my beer away to friends. Makes for good presentation. The good thing is that they always offer to return the bottles without me having to ask...I would ask.

They go for $2 a bottle at "The Good Brewer" in Livermore, Ca.
Hope this pic works...
At the moment this one is filled with an American Wheat. Quite tasty...

bottle.jpg

Buying empty bottles goes profoundly against the grain for me. They are so typically expensive that even if what they are filled with is only marginal, I have to buy them full.

I wonder what per cent of Grolsch's business is home brewers who can bear the thought paying for empties?

If you're lucky and live in a state where they still have a return deposit, you can usually buy used empties (granted sometimes you have to scrub the fuzzies out of the bottom) for at most $0.10 per bottle. Thats not too bad, possibly the one saving grace of Michigan, even though if you have to brew outstide it might be in the bitter cold!

I've done that - my local distributor sells 'em to me for a buck and a half for a case of 16s. But I've decided I don't like to go this way except to have bottles to give away. The bottles have had such hard use that they have a permanent frost on the outside. I don't like the aesthetics of this - they look like they are not really clean.

I'm kinda against buying a batch of empties too. The price is great and all, but you never know if a bottle of two has been used as a butt can.. or worse ..... as a urinal:eek:

BrewBrothaRick said:
I just bought and tasted my first bottle of Grolsch. Taste is ok, kinda Heineken and then some, but what an amazing bottle. Wow, if they came in amber they would be the homebrewer's dream. Since I'm still so new to brewing that I don't have anything yet of my own on tap, I think I'll focus my drinkin these until I make a batch-sized set of empty Grolsch bottles. They are 16 oz bottles BTW.

Back before Katrina I was thinking about moving to New Orleans, so I was culling all the needless clutter (homebrewing was just an idea back then), and I tossed out well over a case of the amber Grolsch bottles, that I had collected over the years. Also tossed out a case of Lone Star longneck bottles.

I could kick myself now! :(

Now that I've just started kegging, I'm reducing my bottle supply. I'm only keeping large bottles 500ml and up. Except for 100 Stubby bottles that someone is giving me. Those must almost be collectors by now.

All the long neck 12oz are hitting the bottle depot. Hmm... I should have enough to pay for my next batch of grains/hops with the money from the bottle deposit.

Latest posts

Back