New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Grolsch bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Ol' Grog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Grolsch bottles

Been reading into using other bottles. It seems the concensus of the group is that Samuel Adams and Grolsch bottles are the best to re-use. I need some input on this. I came across a 4 pack of Grolsch beer bottles, the 750 ml size, for about 9.95. They had plastic tops with a fat red gasket. My first question: Are they worth it? But first, I've never drank that beer, is it at least any good? If I used some of those for botteling, do I have to get new gaskets? Maybe it's cheaper just to go with Sam Adams. At least I know the beer is pretty good, never had a Grolsch before and to me, that seems kind of a steep price for 4 beers, and I'm not even at a bar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I've never bought a beer JUST for the bottles, but I do factor in how much the bottles are worth to me when deciding whether to buy or not. Those swing-top bottles will cost what, probably a buck a pop, if you buy then in a HBS, maybe a little more. The Sam Adams crown-tops are worth about a quarter (I can get a case for about $10). So to me, it's whether I should buy Sam Adams at a "net" cost of around $5 (it's usually around $6.50 or so, less $1.50 in the value of the bottles) or the Grolsch at a net cost of $6.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most of the 'grolsch' bottles you can buy these days are actually grolsch stlye, not actual Grolsch brand. In fact, in liquor stores around here I've been seeing more and more Grolsch beer with normal caps, instead of flip tops.

The up side to buying grolsch style flip tops instead of using 'real' Grolsch bottles is that the 'real' bottles are green these days, which comes with its own set of problems. The flip tops you can buy are generally brown.

Flip tops bottles are damn handy if you're bottling. It is easier to cap a grolsch style bottle than it is to cap a regular bottle with any manual bottle capper. The 'red gasket' is reusuable and these days they use silicon most of the time, which seems to hold up better than the rubber gaskets of old. I've got some of my Dad's mead from 1997 that I'm going to have to crack open and change the rubber gaskets on-- they are starting to dry up and disenegrate.

If you shop around online you can find cases of flip top bottles for reasonable prices and they are, in my opinion, great for bottling beer.

However, they can be bad for gifts since the bottle might not make its way back to you in a timely fashion, if ever.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Those I saw yesterday were green with a white cap and red gasket. Good points. The Grolsch bottles I've seen online are anywhere from 2.50 to 4.00 bucks a bottle, then add shipping. I'm all for trying new brews and I've never had one of these before. Thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
KopyKat

Recipes 

I got all my "grolsh style" flip top bottle at our recycle center and on Craig's list. Most I got for $0.25 each and a lot I got free. I love them. I have green, clear and brown. No problems with green and clear since I never leave my bottled beer in the sun or under fluorsent lights. If I want to take some outside, I have a mix of brown ones for that. I have about 300 of these bottles with about 20 of them being the Fisher Ale bottles which are 22 ounce.

As to the gaskets, on new bottles or ones the gasket rubber is not cracked, no problem using them over and over. You can use them for years.

I bottle 12 ounce caps for giveaways so I don't have to worry about getting the bottle back.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 09-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Generally the price I'm seeing for the flip tops is ~$20 a dozen, which works out to less than $2 a bottle before shipping. I don't know where in OK you are but a brief search turned up a store in OK that carries them. http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=128&idproduct=749

Course, there's no replacement for drinking your beer bottle empty.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I drank a lot of Grolsch to build up my bottle supply...

If you consider the cost of almost $20 for 12 16 oz flip top bottles from my LHBS it was worth it. Three four packs of Grolsch roughly $28-29 dollars minus the cost of new empties and I got each 16 oz's of Grolsch beer for 80 cents.

80 cents is about the price OR LESS of most nice six packs you can buy (if you don't consider keeping the bottles).

for me economically speaking it was a deal and bottling is much quicker and smoother...

these are just some of them.... i have enough to bottle 15 gallons of beer

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewProject
I drank a lot of Grolsch to build up my bottle supply...
You have my condolences.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
The 'red gasket' is reusuable and these days they use silicon most of the time, which seems to hold up better than the rubber gaskets of old.
I did not realize the new ones use silicon. Great news. That means even less maintenance...

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Old 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewProject
I did not realize the new ones use silicon. Great news. That means even less maintenance...
At my LHBS, the seals that come on new bottles seem to be made of silicon, but the replacement seals they sell are rubber.

Quick Reply