Gravity fed Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
I have a corny keg that i got from the back of my dads barn, but do to being recently laid off i cant really throw down $100+ for a regulator, tank, etc.
Which made me think.....

What would be wrong with naturally carbing a keg, then cooling it and when your ready to use it put it in a bucket of ice and set it on the counter with the cobra tap dangling below, using gravity to siphon your beer out? then when your done back to the fridge?

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the line would get warm and fizz a little, but i'm sure i could engineer something up to fix that.

Im just a newb with little money to work with but i dont see why this wouldnt work. i appreciate any views/opinions

As you drink from the keg, you have less and less pressure in the headspace, ending up with flat beer.

I was thinking about it, and this would just create a vacuum, and only let out the first few beers, after that only thing you could do is open the gas side and let in air, thus oxidizing/ limiting the beer drinking to one night.... Arrgh.. no money sucks.

You could look into getting a portable Cornelius CO2 charger. You could naturally carbonate the keg then attach this to push the beer out. They only run $20 on ebay.

I guess the best thing is to just wait till i can afford a 40$ regulator, then attach a paintball tank, (~15 for the connector) untill i can get the tank for ~60.

the $20 CO2 chargers work great, and you'll wnat them for taking kegs to parties anyways.

the paintball tank method is actually more expensive to get started with.

I used a charger to push 40 or so gallons out of cornies before I got my tank and regulator. I naturally carbed them first. It works well.

Back