New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Gotta love other homebrewers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Ravenhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gotta love other homebrewers...

I just wanted to share a story of a recent trip to the local lhbs which also happens to be a brewery. My wife and I had gone to pick up some starsan for a 15gal epic bottling session and to have a beer. Well the owners cousins(homebrewers as well) were in town for a Bronco game and hanging out at the brewery for the evening and the started chatting up my wife. Somehow it came up that we would be bottling 3 batches to which the cousins (they call themselves the Baca Brothers) were astonished that we were not kegging.

For the next hour or so they explained to my wife why we should be kegging. They showed her the kegging options, talked costs and parts, while I sat and had my beer. Well this was not something I had neglected to talk about with my wife but she behaved as if this was completely new information.

Well she was definitely interested and began chastising me for not telling her earlier about the kegging option. When we got home she got online and began to look for kegging systems before she committed but a 10PM she called the LHBS/Brewery and told the owner she was in. Now we just need a fridge and I have a kegging system...she also agrees that we need to order kegs froms INSCO on the classified pages.

Thanks Baca Brothers for doing in 1 hour what I haven't been able to do in 12months. Now any suggestions on how to convert and what to buy for the kegging system?

thanks
todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

HERE is a good thread on kegerator builds that have been done by other members to give you ideas.

THIS thread has different freezers and how many kegs they hold (method there is good- ~9' diameter and 28' per keg).

This is a kegging 'kit' from midwest that is a pretty good starter to model after.

For your CO2, it is cheaper per pound to fill a larger tank (IE 5# fill is about $10 where I go, and a 20# is like $14). Unless you plan on keeping it in the fridge, where size constraints are an issue, it wouldn't hurt to have a big one (also less trips to refill). 5# should still last you 6+ kegs (carbing serving etc).

I recommend spending a little extra on a dual gauge regulator, unless you don't plan on having more then one or two on tap at a time (this way can do different pressures for serving/carbing).

'Y' splitters (or distribution block) with check valves and on/off switches if you need more CO2 connections (how many kegs you are going to have hooked up).

For each keg you are planning to serve, you will need a gas in connect and a gas out connect (ball or pinlock, depending on keg. The ball locks are more common, also what is shown on midwest link above).

Typically barbs for gas are 1/4 ID tubing, to any desired length. The serving lines are 3/16; it varies per your set up, but 10ft is common length for most set ups (see draft system line balancing and/or Beer Line and Length Pressure Calculator).

Other then that, picnic taps or perlick faucets (THE faucet to go for in my book), fridge, tower if you're doing taps...

I think I covered most of it?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Also pm pedalbiker for kegs; he is a vendor on here. I got my kegs from him and I highly recommend him.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 12-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been happy with mine for $17.99 from Adventures in Home Brewing if you can't get them privately.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
I've been happy with mine for $17.99 from Adventures in Home Brewing if you can't get them privately.
Me too ! But shipping cost to Colorado may make a difference

I've also deal with pedalbiker and was happy w/ the experience

I'd recommend not spending the money on a 2 gauge regulator IMHO the pressure gauge for the CO2 tank is a complete waste of money. In my experience it basically tells you when you're out of gas which you won't really need a gauge to figure out.

I highly recommend a spare CO2 tank if you can afford it but it's more of a luxury than a necessity if your budget is tight

I'd also recommend a 20 lb tank as in my area of the country & experience it's by far the most economical to refill. Your area may differ but check it out first and ask others where they fill up, prices vary wildly.

Most equipment is generally compairble I like the aluminum CO2 tanks but the cost and or the fact that a lot of places want to swap tanks rather than refill may make buying a used tank(s) more economic. So determine whether you will be swapping tanks or refilling them. I wasn't about to swap my brand new 5 lb aluminum tank but have no problem swapping the old steel tank that I got.

Hopefully some of this info will save you some time and money

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-26-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
I'd recommend not spending the money on a 2 gauge regulator IMHO the pressure gauge for the CO2 tank is a complete waste of money. In my experience it basically tells you when you're out of gas which you won't really need a gauge to figure out.
Dual regulator actually has three gauges; two for your out pressures, third is your tank level. This allows you to have one (or more with manifold/splitters) for serving PSI, and the second (or more) for force carbing. Also, if you would happen to have a beer that needs 8 PSI for balancing, and another that needed 12PSI, you can run different pressures.

As abracadabra stated, a spare tank is great to have if you can get a good deal (I got 2 tanks free .

Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Welcome to kegging my friend. Welcome.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
Dual regulator actually has three gauges; two for your out pressures, third is your tank level. This allows you to have one (or more with manifold/splitters) for serving PSI, and the second (or more) for force carbing. Also, if you would happen to have a beer that needs 8 PSI for balancing, and another that needed 12PSI, you can run different pressures.

As abracadabra stated, a spare tank is great to have if you can get a good deal (I got 2 tanks free .
You apparently miss read or misunderstood my post I said a 2 gauge regulator meaning 2 gauges

I did not say a Dual regulator

You can get a single regulator w/ only 1 gauge for the regulated pressure or a single regulator w/ gauges for both the regulated pressure and the CO2 tank pressure

The CO2 tank pressure gauge is a waste of money IMHO I'm sure there are others that will disagree

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-26-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nobody mentioned it but your wife rocks!

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 12-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Evan
Recipes 

kegging soon, and just want to find this link for reference

Quick Reply