Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Got used co2 and reg, something is wrong
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default Got used co2 and reg, something is wrong

Okay, I got a used co2 cylinder with a regulator. When I open the valve (and plug hose using my thumb) i notice a leak on bottom side of regulator where there is a SS washer under a brass adapter. There is an o-ring on the brass adapter (regulator side). The SS washer is just big enough to rest on the O.D. of the o-ring. Is the o-ring bad or is this SS washer setup even supposed to be there?

Here is a pic of brass adapter with SS washer in place:

image-3122527436.jpg  
__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 495
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

No the washer should not be there. What ever screws in there , nipple, check valve etc. Should NOT need that washer.

__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default

Thanks. Should there be an o-ring? Or Teflon tape/ pipe dope?

__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 2,031
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

nut/washers might just be the adjustment stop. teflon tape no. gauge reading 5 psi or less? Is that with no pressure/gas?

__________________
Yankee Sand Flea on a Southern Beach.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”
starrfish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,507
Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KD1 View Post
Thanks. Should there be an o-ring? Or Teflon tape/ pipe dope?
If its an npt fitting, yes, you should use ptfe tape or dope. It looks like npt to mfl? Every regulator I've used has npt connections coming off the body.
__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
nut/washers might just be the adjustment stop. teflon tape no. gauge reading 5 psi or less? Is that with no pressure/gas?
When messing with it, I backed out the "adjustment" screw on regulator just so I didn't lose a bunch of gas while trying to hook everything up and check it. I can plug the hose and then turn the screw "in" and notice that the leak gets much worse as more pressure is applied. The high pressure side is close to 800 psi and the low pressure side seems to work fine but the "adapter" (check valve maybe?) with SS washer leaks with very little pressure applied.
__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,507
Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KD1 View Post
When messing with it, I backed out the "adjustment" screw on regulator just so I didn't lose a bunch of gas while trying to hook everything up and check it. I can plug the hose and then turn the screw "in" and notice that the leak gets much worse as more pressure is applied. The high pressure side is close to 800 psi and the low pressure side seems to work fine but the "adapter" (check valve maybe?) with SS washer leaks with very little pressure applied.
Take off the fitting and see what's going on. If you have a LHBS or even a home depot nearby, bring the pieces in and figure it out. It sounds like the only problem is that sketchy fitting.
__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack

If its an npt fitting, yes, you should use ptfe tape or dope. It looks like npt to mfl? Every regulator I've used has npt connections coming off the body.
Here is a pic of the brass piece removed from body of reg. notice the o-ring on the end heading to regulator body. The o-ring and washer just don't look right to me...
image-345248339.jpg  
__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Gfei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 249
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KD1

Here is a pic of the brass piece removed from body of reg. notice the o-ring on the end heading to regulator body. The o-ring and washer just don't look right to me...
That looks to me like someone tried to do something dumb...

Teflon tape or some thread lock are all you need to seal the fittings.
__________________

Chris
Damn Yankee Brewing

|Bar Build|

Gfei is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default

I'll give it a shot. If I can get this fixed, I will be kegging today! I'm so excited!

__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools