Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Got my gas and liquid keg posts mixed up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
max129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Got my gas and liquid keg posts mixed up

I'm pretty new to kegging (like only 4 or 5 kegs in) and apparently horrible at reading directions because I only learned today that there are differences between the gas and liquid posts on a ball lock keg. Unfortunately, I learned this after I filled both of my kegs, attached the gas and carbed them, and am now trying unsuccessfully to force a picnic tap on them. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Would it be ok if I vented the pressure, switched the posts, and then repressurized the keg? Or would I end up with beer all over my floor?

One of the beers is a birthday gift for my girlfriend so I may be more freaked out than usual. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Primary: Czech Dark Lager, Premium American Lager, Vanilla Porter, India Red Ale, Chocolate Bock
Secondary: Home Smoked Rauchbier, Doppelbock
Keg: California Common
Bottled: Dusseldorf Alt, Malt Liquor, Classic American Pils, Bourbon Barrel Cider, Wee Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That will work fine man, just make sure to vent a couple of times to release the head space pressure after turning off or removing the gas, and the mess will be minimal. Just had to do this to replace a bad poppet valve. Also remember to sanitize everything you switch around with a spray of Star San or similar to keep everything nice and sanitized.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Or you could just switch the disconnects.

AnOldUR Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
max129
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4361 View Post
That will work fine man, just make sure to vent a couple of times to release the head space pressure after turning off or removing the gas, and the mess will be minimal. Just had to do this to replace a bad poppet valve. Also remember to sanitize everything you switch around with a spray of Star San or similar to keep everything nice and sanitized.
Took your advice and the switch was completely problem-free. Thanks for your help.

Primary: Czech Dark Lager, Premium American Lager, Vanilla Porter, India Red Ale, Chocolate Bock
Secondary: Home Smoked Rauchbier, Doppelbock
Keg: California Common
Bottled: Dusseldorf Alt, Malt Liquor, Classic American Pils, Bourbon Barrel Cider, Wee Heavy

Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
Or you could just switch the disconnects.
-1. Not this. In and out posts are ever so slightly different in size. If you search, you'll find instances of people witching the disconnects by mistake and are unable to remove one because it is so tight and must be broken in order to get it off. Not a good idea, IMO.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 643

This reminds me of the time when I tried to connect to my wife's OUT post after a long night of drinking. It got messy...

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting
People Like This 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Beer_Eugenics
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
-1. Not this. In and out posts are ever so slightly different in size. If you search, you'll find instances of people witching the disconnects by mistake and are unable to remove one because it is so tight and must be broken in order to get it off. Not a good idea, IMO.
He was talking about switching the disconnects. I.E. Putting the gas disconnect on the liquid line not the liquid poppet and vice versa. Hence why the O.P. stated he was unsuccessful at trying to get the picnic tap (liquid disconnect) on the gas poppet.

Quick Reply