Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Good thermometer for kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
brewthunda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Good thermometer for kegerator?

I'm ordering parts for my first kegerator and I'm wondering where to buy good cheap digital thermometers. I was thinking of building a little control panel outside of the kegerator with fridge and tower temp readouts, fan switch, etc. and would like something with a small remote readout that can be mounted on a panel. Where would I find something like this?

How about a good thermometer for measuring the temp of beer in the glass?

Thanks,

Brewthunda

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Use a Love controller or Ranco ETC-111000 to display the temp (and control it, too!).

The Thermapen is an awesome instant read thermometer, good for measuring everything from mash temp to serving temp to medium rare.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks - those are good links! I'm not really looking for a controller. I think this might work for my kegerator/tower temp monitor:

ThermoWorks – RT8100 Fridge/Freezer Alarm Thermometer

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewthunda View Post
Thanks - those are good links! I'm not really looking for a controller. I think this might work for my kegerator/tower temp monitor:

ThermoWorks – RT8100 Fridge/Freezer Alarm Thermometer
I know you are not looking for a controller but for the price difference, I would go for the controller over what you are looking at. The controller will show you the exact temperature and you can change it to exactly what you want in a snap. Trying to dial in a specific temperature with the little dials in refrigerators is not fun.

Personally, I have a refrigerator that is a catch all for all cooling needs. I use it for fermenting, crash cooling, extra storage during parties, etc... I even have a reptile heater in it for fermenting in the winter (it's in the garage). The temperature controller means it takes 5 seconds to go from a 'secondary fermentation chamber' to a 'crash cooling chamber'. It's fantastic.... just my 2 cents.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I know you are not looking for a controller but for the price difference, I would go for the controller over what you are looking at. The controller will show you the exact temperature and you can change it to exactly what you want in a snap. Trying to dial in a specific temperature with the little dials in refrigerators is not fun.

Personally, I have a refrigerator that is a catch all for all cooling needs. I use it for fermenting, crash cooling, extra storage during parties, etc... I even have a reptile heater in it for fermenting in the winter (it's in the garage). The temperature controller means it takes 5 seconds to go from a 'secondary fermentation chamber' to a 'crash cooling chamber'. It's fantastic.... just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip. I really do just want something to monitor the temp in a built-in kegerator and tower though. I'll probably buy a temp controller when I set up a brewing fridge. We've got an extra fridge and a chest freezer that I think I can persuade my wife to donate to the cause.

Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

You may find the thermostat in your kegerator won't allow you to keep constant temperatures within the range you're looking for. This is especially true for kegerators made from chest freezers.
As ajwilly's said. I don't think it would be worth it to save 19 dollars for just a thermometer when you get a temperature controller that is accurate +-1° and is fully programmable in everyway from Rest Temp, to temp flucation. You may find you firdge/freezer thermostat has too large of a temp swing between turning the compressor on and off. I put a LOVE in mine and it's awesome changing between a fermentation cabinet set to 65 and a kegerator set t0. Just set the number and forget it. instead of figeting with the dial, waiting an hour, taking a temp, adjusting again, witing an hour, blah blah blah. One time of not having to do that is worth the $19 dollars. At least my personal time is worth at least $20 an hour to me.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Last edited by IrregularPulse; 10-27-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 421

Bought six of these for $3 each plus $7.50 shipping to NJ.
Got one in the kegerator, one in the fermentor and a few taped to the side of carboys.

Thanks to Pivzavod for providing the link!

Wired Digital Thermometer - Hot Deals - Jasco Products Company

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
You may find the thermostat in your kegerator won't allow you to keep constant temperatures within the range you're looking for. This is especially true for kegerators made from chest freezers.
As ajwilly's said. I don't think it would be worth it to save 19 dollars for just a thermometer when you get a temperature controller that is accurate +-1° and is fully programmable in everyway from Rest Temp, to temp flucation. You may find you firdge/freezer thermostat has too large of a temp swing between turning the compressor on and off. I put a LOVE in mine and it's awesome changing between a fermentation cabinet set to 65 and a kegerator set t0. Just set the number and forget it. instead of figeting with the dial, waiting an hour, taking a temp, adjusting again, witing an hour, blah blah blah. One time of not having to do that is worth the $19 dollars. At least my personal time is worth at least $20 an hour to me.
Thanks for the advice. This is actually going to be used with a Summit built-in, under counter kegerator that's supposed to be able to keep kegs at drinking temp pretty well. I really just want to be able to monitor the keg and tower temperature as I fine tune the kegerator's temp sensor and my tower fan. I don't think a temp controller would do me much good when it comes to tuning my tower temp. And I'm definitely going for a temp controller as soon as I start home brewing - but that will be in our chest freezer

Thanks again.

Quick Reply