Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Good place to buy amber 12 oz bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
StophJS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Good place to buy amber 12 oz bottles?

I've been looking for a place to pick up a couple cases of 12 oz amber bottles to save myself some headache from having to track them down elsewhere, but I've read on various websites that certain bottles are flimsy and break easily. I would prefer to buy from midwest but there are a couple reviews there that talk about how the bottles are cheap. I'm wondering if maybe those people are just a little careless though.. Honestly bottles don't need to get a incredibly durable unless you are being rough with them. Does anyone know of a good place to pick up some bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

local convenience store? I'd bet if you go to the store on Lk Michigan drive near shawmut hills, they would be happy to sell you some bottles at their deposit cost. After all, they should have some compassion for the homebrewers. Awesome store to buy supplies too-- best in town.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

costco sells 24 packs of Sam Adams or their own brand for about $18-20 bucks. A case of empties is going to cost $12-14 bucks. why not spend the extra six bucks for the beer and get your bottles? the other nice thing about those particular bottles is the labels come off pretty easy.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Pilotpip
Recipes 

I saved bottles for a few months before I started brewing. Ask your friends and family to do the same and you'll soon have more than you know what to do with.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on the buy a case and drink as opposed to buying empties. For homebrew, I love the Sierra Nevada bottles--short and stubby, so they fit in more fridge shelves. Buy a case, drink 'em, and then give an overnight soak in strong batch of oxy-clean--the labels will fall right off.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
truckndad
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ya, just buy a case and enjoy the contents then re-use the bottles. Another idea is do you have a home brew club in your area. Contact them. I got a lot of bottles from guys in my club who went to kegging and didn't need as many bottles as before. All they asked for was a couple bottles returned to them filled. I got close to 75 bottles last May that way.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Why would you waste money on empty bottles? Just get a couple cases of anything by Bell's that you like and enjoy them.

Honestly, most of the bottles you buy at the lhbs are the flimsy ones. I've been using bottles from microbrews for years and I've never had a problem.

I think you're reading bad info....Never seen that argument brought up on here. Most of us recycle from commercial beers.

It seems at first that accumulating bottles is difficult but if you mention around to people that you brew and need crown bottles they will start showing up. There's also craigslist, and freecycle.org, hooking up with other homebrewers, recycling centers. Asking at beerstores that have a good selection of beer for their returnables. Some stores will let you have their empties for the price of the deposit. And some bars will give you all you can haul out if you ask.

Also if you want to bottle in champagne bottles, go to a hall that does weddings, heck even a moose or vfw hall, you might just have to dumpster dive at worst, or just pick cases of empty asti bottles by the back door.

It seems daunting but you'll get plenty really fast. But in reality when you annouce you are homerbewing, they do come flying at you. I even had my building super years ago just use his key and leave me some on the dinning room table. He knew he'd get beer from me on a regular basis, especially if he was gonna do some work in my place.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have a local recycling center... you can swing by and pick up as many as you want for free usually.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Why would you waste money on empty bottles? Just get a couple cases of anything by Bell's that you like and enjoy them.

Honestly, most of the bottles you buy at the lhbs are the flimsy ones. I've been using bottles from microbrews for years and I've never had a problem.

I think you're reading bad info....Never seen that argument brought up on here. Most of us recycle from commercial beers.
+1 to Bells and the labels come off easily in Oxyclean soak

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on getting the word out. I had 50 bottle of Sam Adam's Octoberfest show up in the bed of my truck the other day when I was at a meeting. So I had the EXTREME burden of draining them to refill with my homebrew! In 4 weeks I am up to 150 bottles. I happen to know some drinkers, I guess! I even got 60 grolsch bottles out of the announcement too!

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Quick Reply