Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Gonna buy a Corny Keg - Any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #11
AHammer16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

How many corneys do you tanks dispense before they are empty? What size are they? 5# 10# 20#? My local medical gas supplier will fill tanks but they wont fill any thing smaller than a 10 pounder. They say their filling equipment will fill a 5 pounder in a split second which gives them no time to shut it off before it bulges or cracks. When i go for my keg set-up I am planning on a 10 pounder or a 20 pounder. What do you all think?

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
DrewsBrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I opted for a 10 pounder because the extra cost wasn't that much ($17) over a 5 pounder and because most of the charge of filling the tank is the set-up cost. Any shop in town charges me $2 more for 10 lbs than for 5 lbs.

If you force-carbonate, figure around 9-10 kegs dispensed from a 10 lb tank. Try welding supply shops in addition to the medical supply shops. They shouldn't have any problem filling 5 lb tanks.

If you're planning on putting the CO2 tank inside the fridge, make sure a 20 lb will fit before you buy one. They're pretty tall. My 10 lb fits easily and leaves more than enough room for four corny kegs.

Tap 1:
Tap 2:
Tap 3:
Bottles:

Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
JoeCoastie
Recipes 

Thanks ORRELSE! I'll check them out.
FYI, Mike over at HomeBrewUSA also said there is a place called Pickens that can do it, not sure where on the Penisula they are though.
Thanks again!

Sean

Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #14
jrp3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You did well buying the 3-keg kit from ebrew.com. I live in Charlotte where they are located, so I just went to the store and bought the exact same set up. The kegs were used, so they had a few ounces of soda in the bottom, but were otherwise in very good shape. The regulator is a very good quality, 2-guage. I have my first kegged brew setting in the corner, ready to drink. Now I just have to get a dedicated fridge to put the set-up in.

Quick Reply