Going rate for 5 gallon kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you finding them for that? I've been searching lately and all I find around is 60-70.

I found mine on craigslist. The first two were $45 each, and the last two were $35 each. Just gotta keep an eye out.

They go quick on CL here in the Dallas area. My LHBS has reconditioned ones for $75-$80, which I feel is a bit over priced.

Komocabo said:
I found mine on craigslist. The first two were $45 each, and the last two were $35 each. Just gotta keep an eye out.
Thanks, I'll just have to keep looking and be patient

$44 for shipping seems steep (to Ohio). That makes them $70 a pop. At first glance it looks appealing at $29 each, but the shipping makes them just the same as anywhere else. Even at your shipping costs, it still makes them $50 each.

In Ohio, kegs on Craigslist are non-existent. My LBHS has them for $50-60, but there supply goes fast.

buckeyerunner said:
$44 for shipping seems steep (to Ohio). That makes them $70 a pop. At first glance it looks appealing at $29 each, but the shipping makes them just the same as anywhere else. Even at your shipping costs, it still makes them $50 each.

In Ohio, kegs on Craigslist are non-existent. My LBHS has them for $50-60, but there supply goes fast.

It used to say in their ad to contact them if you get a crazy shipping quote. I know a few brew clubs have done bulk buys with them as well. They are cool guys, I had to wait about 10 minutes for them to get back from lunch, the waves were "killer" that day, so they sold me 4 kegs for $80.

I got some a few weeks back from a soda distributer for $20/each. Not cleaned, but holds pressure. Prior to finding that lead, though, I hadn't seen anything local cheaper than $50. Homebrew stores wanted $60-70.

If you're gonna pay $70 for used, why not get new? I got 2 from KegConnection, I admit on sale, for$100 ea., Cheap or free shipping(Tx to NH). I just saw others for $100, can't remember....look around.
A C-note is pricey, but you eliminate a LOT of potential aggravation. The peace of mind is worth it.
Yeah, hold out and look for that other $100 one; I think they're made in USA, too. And, get ballsy: say you'll try to get friends to order all together, blah, blah, good will, etc. Come on, work it!!!
AND, There is a co., CHI? or CHICompany, in Ca. Check 'em out! They have a LOT of stuff. Good Luck.

It used to say in their ad to contact them if you get a crazy shipping quote. I know a few brew clubs have done bulk buys with them as well. They are cool guys, I had to wait about 10 minutes for them to get back from lunch, the waves were "killer" that day, so they sold me 4 kegs for $80.

Looks like all they have left are pin locks.

Cottonmouth said:
Looks like all they have left are pin locks.

image-321727492.jpg

Their actual website still shows that they have them, but it looks like they are pushing the pin locks because they just got 5000 of them in.

Edit: I forgot screen shots don't blow up well. Visit their website, www.mceversdistrib.com. These guys have an obscene amount of kegs.

I've actually contacted them in the last couple days and they are actually sold out of ball locks. They have some pins converted to balls but no actual balls. I was told they expect more in December but till then it's only pins/pin-converts

William's Brewing has a deal for Black Friday that if you spend $175 you get a free used (pressure tested) ball lock. So spend 178 on three used ball locks and get the fourth free. Shipping was 9.99 for me so my whole order came to 188, that's about 47 per keg. Much cheaper than the 70 I'm seeing at most of the LHBS.

Be aware that you should not just grab any old Corny off Craig's list. I've seen them around for $20. They are commonly used by exterminators to hold pesticides. Something I don't want in my beer.

scootermsp said:
Be aware that you should not just grab any old Corny off Craig's list. I've seen them around for $20. They are commonly used by exterminators to hold pesticides. Something I don't want in my beer.

Cripes. I never thought of that. I'll pay the extra cash to get them from a shop knowing that.

The shop I work at charges $65. Another one a couple of hours away is $70.

Beverage Elements, a site sponsor. I'm not sure if they still have them, but I bought two one handled kegs for $81 with shipping about a month ago. They are ugly, only have one handle, but they are shipped with new gaskets if needed, cleaned and pressurized.

Wow...that's scary. Is it safe to say that if they still smell like pepsi inside; they're safe?

Wow...that's scary. Is it safe to say that if they still smell like pepsi inside; they're safe?

This is the first I have heard of a corny being used by an exterminator to hold pesticides. You do never know what was contained inside, so be sure and open them up and inspect/smell the interior before making a purchase.

For the most part, CL is a perfect resource for finding them. I picked up 5 this weekend for $25/ea, and found 3 more for $20/ea. All used by homebrewers previously and in great condition.

This is the first I have heard of a corny being used by an exterminator to hold pesticides. You do never know what was contained inside, so be sure and open them up and inspect/smell the interior before making a purchase.

For the most part, CL is a perfect resource for finding them. I picked up 5 this weekend for $25/ea, and found 3 more for $20/ea. All used by homebrewers previously and in great condition.

Yeah....I've been on CL for months and haven't seen one corny around here on there.

Cornies on CL go for about $40 each around here.:drunk:
Found some at my LHBS today, cleaned & pressure tested ball locks with new O-rings for $44.99 each. Thought that was decent.

Cornies on CL go for about $40 each around here.:drunk:
Found some at my LHBS today, cleaned & pressure tested ball locks with new O-rings for $44.99 each. Thought that was decent.

Definitely a good price. Unfortunately, here in North Georgia, it's hard to come by ANY kegs, much less ball-lock kegs and those that are available are like $60-70 each, and pretty beat up. I decided to patronize one of the sponsors here and bought a brand new "scratch-n-dent" keg from Beverage Elements for like $60. I didn't think that was bad at all.

I posted an ad on CL for mine. Just a simple wanted to buy ad and found a dude unloading all his stuff, but was too lazy to put up an ad himself.

Sometimes, you make your own luck.

Back