The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Going to buy a kegerator, any thing to watch out for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
finny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
I live far away, thanks though.

To make my own, I just need to get a decent mini-fridge, and drill a hole in the top? It can't really be that simple.

The goal is to handle 2 cornelius kegs at a time, with an internal co2 bottle. $600 seems to be about the right price if I buy one somewhere. I suspect that I could buy premium parts, and a better mini-fridge, for that same $600, right?

edit: I drink mostly wheat beers, and those only need to be chilled to the upper 40's. Also, an occasional stout or porter, which also likes the higher temps. Is this an issue? All of these commercial ones will run at that temp, right?
Pretty much that simple, if you have any diy skills and simple tools shouldn't be that hard. I would browse the DIY fornum to get some ideas and see what fridges are working best for people lately. I would figure you should be able to pick up fridge, two tap tower with perlicks, a decent regulator, co2 tank and all hoses and connectors for that $600 possibly even less if you shop around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
billpaustin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, I'm convinced, I'll have to build my own. My nephew and I just finished building my house here in the mountains, and I had to have maple cabinets with black quartz countertops, and stainless appliances. I have room to add another cabinet, so I'll probably try to adapt a maple cabinet, put black quartz on the top, and drill through all of that.

One last question: if I wanted to keep it on my back deck, will it freeze over in the winter? (can get to 0 F here, and stay for a while. It's snowing right now).

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Adrenaline-Junkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

If youre going to keep it in a covered outdoor like area it should be fine. Depending on the conditions you may have/want to invest in a temp controller. How big of a kegerator are you wanting? If you want to run a 2 tap tower with soda kegs id highly suggest getting a danby DAR440. The fridge is cheap, the mods are easy, and it holds its temps well.

EDIT: Just saw you were going to try and work it into a cabinet. That kinda changes things so youll have to come up with something or look around and see what others have done.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
billpaustin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can see a two-phase project:
1) build a simple Danby 440 one (selling for $159 at the Home Depot), to use for now
2) build a hutch type cabinet that incorporates one of these, and another bottle-oriented mini-fridge

The hutch cabinet would have shelves for glasses above, similar to a china cabinet.

No SWMBO to worry about, I'm nearly retired, and have plenty of money

But back to the outside question: let's say it is 0 degrees(F) outside for a week, 24/7. How could an outside freezer or refrigerator keep beer at 48 degrees? I like wheat beers, and porter/stout types, which are not served ice cold. And what would stop it from just freezing the beer?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you use a STC1000 setup, you can run both a cold and a hot side so that you can both run the compressor or a heat element inside the kegerator.

Look up ebay aquarium temp controller build here on the forum for more details.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Quick Reply