Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Going from 22oz to 12oz bottles for comps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Going from 22oz to 12oz bottles for comps?

There are a few competitions coming up in the next month or so and I have a few brews sitting around, but they're in 22oz bottles and I don't have that many left, and I hate the thought of shipping off 22oz bottles and having some of that beer wasted. (Tell me they at least let people drink the left over). Anyway, some of the brews were overcarbed in my opinion and I thought maybe I could transfer them to a pitcher or something and then to a 12oz bottle and cap with some co2 and recap. Is this really just a bad idea (will they lose a little CO2 or add too much O2)? If I did it would it be better if I waited like 2 days before dropping them off or shipping?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't really know. If you have the time do it with one and let it sit for a while & then try it. Let us know the results too.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

We get this question quite often...if you try to transfer your beer from one bottle to another, you really run the risk of damaging the beer, such as oxydation, and if you are submitting it to judges, you really don't want to do something that could result in something that judges would pick up on, do you?

If you don't want to part with your bottles, wait til the next comp. And in the future, always bottle at least a sixer in plain old nondescript 12 ounce bottles. So you can have some available for any contests that come up. And you won't run into this situation again.

There's always going to be contests, and you really don't want to submit less than stellar bottles. They will pick up on any flaws.

I usually only enter 2 contests a year, so I always reserve 1 sixer of every beer I brew throughout the year for entries.

Then when it comes to late summer I put 1 bottle of each sixer in the fridge for a week, then I taste it and see if I feel it's contest worthy. If that's the case then I enter 2 bottles of each of them in the two contests I do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
mrtrav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the only thing holding you back is the thought of it getting wasted, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time all the beer gets drank anyways (if it's good beer). There are the judges, stewards, organizers, and just tagalongs that are always willing to sample beer after the judges have had their way with it.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrav View Post
If the only thing holding you back is the thought of it getting wasted, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time all the beer gets drank anyways (if it's good beer). There are the judges, stewards, organizers, and just tagalongs that are always willing to sample beer after the judges have had their way with it.
Plenty of competitions restrict the entries such that 22oz bottles are not allowed.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

someone told me the bottle can't stand out from the others via labels and such. perhaps the bigger size too? i mean if i sent a 32oz im sure it would stand out.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
mrtrav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Plenty of competitions restrict the entries such that 22oz bottles are not allowed.
Yeah, that's why I was asking if the only reason he wanted to switch to 12oz was because he didn't want the beer wasted.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Some competitions accept 22 ounce bottles, most do not. So, check with the contest rules. If they accept the 22 ounce bottles, send those and don't try to rack to a different bottle. You'll oxidize and ruin the beer.

I have two beers in 16 ounce grolsch bottles that are quite good, but I know that moving the beer into a different bottle with ruin the beer so I'm just going to have to drink it myself!

Quick Reply