Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > glass carboy vs better bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
docmoran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default glass carboy vs better bottle

Appreciate prior responses - seeking still more input or comments - what is better or offers less pain and trub transfer - glass carboy with racking cane transfer to keg etc or ported better bottle with siphon tube to keg?? Seems like the cost is much more for the better bottle setup anyway. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Carboy - Home Brewing Wiki

Glass Carboy vs Better Bottle - Home Brewing Wiki

BetterBottle Carboys (Better-Bottle Carboys): Bisphenol-A free (BPA-free), Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate free (DEHP-free), plasticizer-free home winemaking equipment

It seems as though you did some searching but there really isn't anything more to say. Both have advantages and disadvantages as listed in clear chart form. It isn't a life or death decision, both will work. Choose which seems best to you and fits your budget.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Having-A-Homebrew
Recipes 

I have been using glass carboys for 15 years. They work great and last forever unless you manage to break one, which is not easy to do. The only disadvantage is the weight. I don't think it's a good tradeoff to switch to a material which while lighter is susceptible to scratches and to absorption of chemicals and flavors.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

another one... i cant see this going well... I use both, as well as buckets, dont have problems with any... except that the damn hose doesnt like to stay in the damn hole... (stops and thinks about how that sounds)... that explains my enforced celebacy as of late as well... what do ya know... but with brewing you can use a cloths pin to hold the hose in place... good luck getting asnwers, i would sugest Revvy's "vs" thread he raises alot of good points

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You should probably buy these.

7.jpg  

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
ombre42
Recipes 

I you decide to go with better bottle I strongly suggest using a milk crate to transport.
The wiki mentions the possibility of sucking water out of the airlock and into the wort. In reality its an almost gauranteed result.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 on milk crates, be it better bottle or glass carboy (protect glass carboy, prevent warping/malfunctioning of bottom of better bottle, give you a better handle, and sits a little off the floor- handy if you have cement). Many members will just cover the top with aluminum foil or saran wrap when moving, just to be safe.

Quick Reply