Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ginger Ale taste in beer lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
fusa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Ginger Ale taste in beer lines

I made a ginger ale several weeks ago and had it on tap in my kegerator. Now the porter I have on tap has a slight ginger ale taste and aroma. Before putting the porter on tap, I ran about 5 gallons of water with 1 Tbs of iodopher mixed to sanitize the lines. What is the best way to get rid of the ginger ale taste/aroma?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusa
I made a ginger ale several weeks ago and had it on tap in my kegerator. Now the porter I have on tap has a slight ginger ale taste and aroma. Before putting the porter on tap, I ran about 5 gallons of water with 1 Tbs of iodopher mixed to sanitize the lines. What is the best way to get rid of the ginger ale taste/aroma?
Hot water and oxyclean has worked well for me. Run some thru the lines, then let it sit for a few hours and flush it out. There is also acid line cleaner made specifically for cleaning beer lines too if oxyclean doesn't work. Worst case would be to get new beer line and only use the old line for ginger ale.

I've had similar problems with root beer lingering in lines and in the keg, but a double wash and triple rinse with oxyclean has worked several times for me.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
corvanic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

also change all the o-rings on the keg. I had the same problem with root beer and a porter.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I learned to always keep soda lines separate, as root beer is even worse than ginger ale! I just never was able to get the odor/taste out of the lemon-lime soda line either.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3202 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I learned to always keep soda lines separate, as root beer is even worse than ginger ale! I just never was able to get the odor/taste out of the lemon-lime soda line either.
Same here. Well, that was until I switched to barrier tubing.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
fusa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I soaked the lines with the cleaner Keg Connection sells for 10 hours, now the ginger ale taste and smell is gone.

Quick Reply