The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Getting 15-gal kegs into chest freezers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
scopey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting 15-gal kegs into chest freezers

Any thoughts on the best way to lift heavy kegs (~160 lbs.) into a chest freezer style keezer? Or horror stories? I'm stressing about it and I haven't even put a collar on it yet--and am thinking about either 6" or 8". Yikes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
xumbi
Recipes 

I've seen people do it, but I have no idea how.

I'm guessing the only really safe way would be with some type of pulley system.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Friends with strong backs or something from http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...oist&Submit=Go

Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
jefferson
Recipes 

If you have an unfinished garage then there are cheap hoist just like the ones shown at harbor freight in the post before me. If you put your chest freezer on wheels or on plywood with wheels you can make your self a ramp that will allow you to put the keg in by yourself by sliding it into place right out of your car -one end rests on your collar the other at the bottom of your freezer. You will probably want to pad the ends so that neither your collar or your freezer are damaged - a well mounted, sturdy collar is a must too. An alternative to this is pipe bent in the shape of an upside down "U" (with padded ends on the freezer side) that you roll the keg up and then down into the freezer - also do yourself a favor and have a solid way of keeping the lid propped up, turn off your gas, secure your faucets - so that you don't have other issues to mess (remember you will be alone) with while wrestling a 155 lb keg.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
also do yourself a favor and have a solid way of keeping the lid propped up, turn off your gas, secure your faucets - so that you don't have other issues to mess (remember you will be alone) with while wrestling a 155 lb keg.
You mean like wearing my LifeAlert necklace:

"Help, I've been hit by a big can of beer and I can't get up!" (how many times I've said that...)

Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Friends with strong backs or something from http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...oist&Submit=Go
Ooh, I like the electric one. Then I could just roll the keezer underneath and let the keg down into it. It'd be about $110 for shipping + tax to get it to me (the 440 lb. electric hoist). Now to figure out the cheapest solution not prone to failure. Possibly even the hand levered hoist, though electric is so cool!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You might even consider layering some CDX plywood, or some other moisture friendly wood, over the bottom of the freezer to help distribute the weight more evenly.

I imagine the bottoms of those freezers weren't designed for a point load support of 160 pounds across a 19 inch circle. I could be wrong.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
scopey
Recipes 

Another thing I should have mentioned: the solution shouldn't involve rolling the keg, as want to minimize any sediment disturbance.

Next on the wishlist would be a solution that could also lift 6-1/2 gallon glass carboys. Perhaps a little tricky to attach to a hoist, without some kind of carboy harness:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/6_1_2...PARKA_P181.cfm

Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
jefferson
Recipes 

Also if you haven't bought your (faucets, hoses, regulator tank etc) yet - I recently bought a complete chest freezer coversion kit from KegCowboy.Com for a lot less than I could get the parts or kit anywhere else and noticed that there is an option for sanke kegs too. Here is the kit I got but I added 4 pepsi kegs for $90. You would of course choose Sanke. http://www.kegcowboy.com/digiSHOP/ca...ct_detail&p=22

Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
jefferson
Recipes 

That is a good point about rolling but I usually have to let kegs sit over night to lessen the foam caused by the car ride (usually the guys loading it have sloshed it around so much that it doesn't really matter if I drive like I am in the General Lee on the way home) and it seems that this is adequate quiet time for the sediment to also settle down.

Quick Reply