Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Gelatins Effect on Bottle Conditioning (An Experiment)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default Gelatins Effect on Bottle Conditioning (An Experiment)

I started using gelatin back in early summer to help my (kegged) beer come out clearer, with great results.

I immediately started extolling the virtues of gelatin to all who asked how to get clearer beer…this without consideration of the effect gelatin might have on bottle conditioning. (Does gelatin do such a good job of clearing beer, that there is inadequate yeast for bottle priming?)

Last week while I was racking my Newcastle to the keg, I decided to grab an empty bottle, throw in a ¼ Tsp of priming sugar, fill and cap. I have it sitting in my brewshop and plan to give it 4 weeks at 70 degrees. Once the time is up, I’ll pour a side-by-side sample against my kegged version and report the results. This, of course, assuming I don’t polish it off before then.

For what it’s worth, the kegged version is absolutely crystal clear with a deep ruby brown color. I might not have this benefit with the bottle unless I chill it long enough to get past the chill haze.

I'll get back to you in a few weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

A one-week updated.

I wanted to see if there were tell-tale signs of yeast building up in the bottom of the bottle. Gave it nice swirl yesterday and sure-nuff.

A nice cloud of crumbly junk, barely perceptable, rousted off the bottom.

It appears that even with gelatin conditioned beer, there is sufficient yeast.

The final test will be the pour in about two weeks.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looking forward to your results. I asked about this a couple months ago and people basically said it was doomed for failure, but heck, you're only out a single bottle of beer, right?

Please keep me/us updated. It could be good.....

Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
Looking forward to your results. I asked about this a couple months ago and people basically said it was doomed for failure, but heck, you're only out a single bottle of beer, right?

Please keep me/us updated. It could be good.....
Another week or so.

Based on the amount of yeast swirling around the bottom now, I'm hopeful to prove that gelatin has minimal-to-no effect on carbonation.

Now, if I can only not finish my keg so I can do a side-by-side pour comparison.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'll also be interested in the effect of the gelatin on clarity. I'm not convinced old gelatin will have an effect on the recently-multiplied yeast. I'm not sure it'll be better than just letting it sit for a few weeks and not agitating too much. But, then, I'm not sure I'm right, either. That's the point of experiments.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

When are you concluding this experiment? I am eeger to hear the results as I am going to use some gelatin in 10 days.

I always here people say "Oh you will have to add some yeast," but then they are keggers. I have heard a couple people who have done say that you don't need to add yeast.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
When are you concluding this experiment? I am eeger to hear the results as I am going to use some gelatin in 10 days.

I always here people say "Oh you will have to add some yeast," but then they are keggers. I have heard a couple people who have done say that you don't need to add yeast.
Should be before your 10-day deadline. I'll make a place holder on my calendar. By my calc's that should be around 23-24 days at 70 degrees and, even if by that time I haven't achieved full carbonation, poppoing and pouring will certainly give me a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on "will it work?".

Like I said, each day I give the bottle a tip to agitate, it seems there is more yeast cloud at the bottom of the bottle.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Should be before your 10-day deadline. I'll make a place holder on my calendar. By my calc's that should be around 23-24 days at 70 degrees and, even if by that time I haven't achieved full carbonation, poppoing and pouring will certainly give me a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on "will it work?".

Like I said, each day I give the bottle a tip to agitate, it seems there is more yeast cloud at the bottom of the bottle.
I have a feeling that if there is any visible yeast then it will be fine. Look at SNPA, you can barely tell there is yeast in there and they come out perfect.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Default The Results Are In

Well,

I won’t say the experiment was a failure…after all...I did make a finding, just not the one I’d hoped for.

I popped the NewCastle bottle tonight after four weeks at 72 degrees. You’ll remember that I add gelatin to my beer in the secondaries to help it clear off better (very effective). I force carb my beer in the keg, so the idea that gelatin clearing out too much yeast wasn’t a question for me.

I wanted to find out if indeed, gelatin removed so much yeast that it would inhibit the natural (priming) carbonation process in a bottle.

There was not much carbonation even after four weeks. Barely a phhht when I popped the top and no noticeable head during the pour. There was a nice carbonic bite to the taste so I know it was trying to carb. There was also a fair amount of yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Sure signs that carbonation was “in progress”.

Net Message – Gelatin definitely slowed the carbonation process down, but did not entirely rid the beer of yeast. Would this beer carbonate? Yes. But I would say it would require at least twice the amount of time to do so.

I’ve embedded a youtube video of the pour if you want proof positive…

Oh…and yes. I drank it anyway…very tasty.

[youtube]JXpHpaWkBRU[/youtube]

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
the_Roqk

Recipes 

What if you bumped up the priming sugar and still only conditioned for 4 weeks?

Quick Reply