The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > GE Mini Fridge Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
clw2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default GE Mini Fridge Conversion

I think i found a GE mini fridge on CL that i want to try and convert to a keggerator. Anyone have any luck? Any problems? My main concern is if anyone knows if i can fit 2 kegs in it and if the cooling lines are in the top of the fridge, i want to use a tower.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What model is it? I am currently converting a GE WMR04BAPBB. I am fortunate enough to have a diagram on the back of the fridge showing where all the coils are. There are no coils in the top so I am going with a tower. The only tricky part was the freezer shelf which is where the evaporator coil is located. It took a little force but I was able to pull the shelf out of the mounting brackets and and very slowly and carefully push the whole thing back so the bottom is against the back wall and did not kink the refrigeration lines. This fridge will fit 2 ball lock corny kegs. The only other thing I had to do was relocate the thermostat and remove the shelves from the door. Cheers.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Amorpatriae
Recipes 

Hey CBK. I have the same model as you and was wondering how to remove the ice tray. Do you have any pics you can share, so I know what to look for?

Thx!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorpatriae View Post
Hey CBK. I have the same model as you and was wondering how to remove the ice tray. Do you have any pics you can share, so I know what to look for?

Thx!
I converted a wmr04bapbb and you just bend it down (make sure the fridge is at room temp) slowly. But first you need to take some pliers and bend the edges of the freezer out of the shelving frame.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/...rator%20Build/
Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Amorpatriae
Recipes 

Perfect. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
speedy2782
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

What would you estimate the cost of all the equipment be, not including the mini refer?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Cwbeck3
Recipes 

Working on a GE conversion as well. Does anyone know if you can trim the excess metal from the edge of the evaporator (freezer shelf)? By excess I mean the portion that does not have coolant lines running through it that's basically used for mounting it to the fridge. Trimming that would give me enough room to move it up about the inch I need for clearance. I feel safer moving it an inch then bending it down the whole way. Has anyone done this?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Alstein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwbeck3
Working on a GE conversion as well. Does anyone know if you can trim the excess metal from the edge of the evaporator (freezer shelf)? By excess I mean the portion that does not have coolant lines running through it that's basically used for mounting it to the fridge. Trimming that would give me enough room to move it up about the inch I need for clearance. I feel safer moving it an inch then bending it down the whole way. Has anyone done this?
Can you bend in the sides slightly, then tilt the freezer up? Either do this or consider a small collar around the front door. Also, if you are using ball lock kegs, maybe going to pin locks would give you the clearance. Or a converted pin lock with ball connections for convenience. You can find pin locks for cheap, comparatively.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
IBrewthere4Iam
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
I converted a wmr04bapbb and you just bend it down (make sure the fridge is at room temp) slowly. But first you need to take some pliers and bend the edges of the freezer out of the shelving frame.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/...rator%20Build/
Cincybrewer, I am doing a conversion on the same fridge. I have two question from viewing your photos. What part is the styrofoam in the third photo? was that from the door? Also did you remount the thermostat, or just leave it hanging in the back and lastly. Is your regulator and co2 inside or did you mount them outside?

Steve

Quick Reply