GE GMR05BLPBSC Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
Buddy of mine wanted to build a kegerator, I have a Danby pre-made I've tinkered with and modded a lot, so we purchased everything he needed from ontariobeerkegs.com and he bought the fridge from Future Shop on special (GE GMR05BLPBSC). It's a 4.5cu ft with a freezer.

I was pretty concerned about bending the freezer tray down, or even unmounting it from the sides. We used pliers and sort of scratched up the fridge walls a bit where the tray slotted into the sides, and I had to actually cut the tray (not through the lines, of course) on the right side as it was too rigid to nicely bend. BUT, got it bent down fine, it didn't kink the line at the back at all.

No trimming of edges needed to fit two ball locks side by side, just had to move the thermostat.

No heat dispersion lines in the top, we drilled about 6 inches in from the back, dead center, a 1.5 inch hole. Exploratory small hole showed nothing but foam, slowly went with the bi-metal hole saw through the layers, no pipes, good deal!

Here's the finished product, 5lb co2 tank fits on the back shelf nicely. I think he's going to need to add a fan to cool things in the tower area, but we'll see!

7235-ge-gmr05blpbsc-open.jpg
Excuse crappy iphone and bad lighting picture...

7234-ge-gmr05blpbsc-finished.jpg

Had to cut the door bits out but that went fine. Definitely voided the warranty on this one! It still cooled down nicely when we plugged it in after all said and done.

Using 10 foot 3/16 lines for both Perlick taps. No beer to put in his kegs yet but just need to balance the lines now and should be set!

So cool, I definitely couldn't have helped him complete this without this site, wow. Everything just went so smooth. 4 hours from start to finish!

Hey

I just bought this same fridge today at Future Shop with plans to make the same kegerator you have here...two kegs, tap tower, etc.

Do you have any additional tips for the conversion? I've never done this before, so any help is greatly appreciated. I noticed that your door moulding is also removed. Is this a tough process?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have on this one. :mug:

Hey

I just bought this same fridge today at Future Shop with plans to make the same kegerator you have here...two kegs, tap tower, etc.

Do you have any additional tips for the conversion? I've never done this before, so any help is greatly appreciated. I noticed that your door moulding is also removed. Is this a tough process?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have on this one. :mug:

Removing the door moulding was no trouble, like a lot of little screws and crap but otherwise no trouble. We cut down the inside plastic stuff on the door (the bit you remove after taking off the moulding) and that was easy peasy to cut with a little coping saw type thing, leaving just the rectangular ring mould, screw it back on, door is set.

Otherwise the one thing that we coulda done differently was the thermostat. We had to move it of course as it RIGHT in the way of kegs, so no big deal, just cut the wires and extend them. But we screwed up how long we'd need the wires to be so wound up having like three sets of marrets in there, bit messy...

Getting the tower hole drilled was no problem with the hole saw, there's either no fridge tubes in the top or there was definitely none right where we drilled. Which was basically dead center side to side on the fridge, and maybe 5-6 inches in or so from the back. Can't remember now, close to that.

Definitely do the bending of the plate when it's warm, the warmer the better. That was scary times but all worked out. Hardest part of the whole conversion was cutting the plate out of the freezer bit so we could take it out and bend it, really.

Buddy who owns this fridge keeps his Co2 tank in the fridge behind things, bungee cord keeping it in place, sitting on the hump.

Good luck!

Back