Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > GE 7.1 CF Chest freezer build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
schmoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default GE 7.1 CF Chest freezer build

Well about 4 months ago my 14 cubic foot chest freezer died. As the wifey didn't like the gigantic chest freezer in the basement, I bought a 7 cu ft. chest freezer day after Thanksgiving.

img_4660.jpg

The original plan was to use two, 2-tap towers and have 4 taps. I got two free towers but the chrome was coming off and I decided I didn't want to deal with resurfacing the towers.

So right now I am working on the lid to the keezer. It will have four taps in a pvc tower that I am either going to shell out in oak, tile, or spray paint. The top is 23/32 plywood with 1x2 oak on the top with 1x4 oak on the sides.

img_4665.jpg

The tower is a 3" pvc pipe with a 4x4 pvc fence post. I am just using end caps to cover the ends. They will be held on with small screws so that I still have access to the shanks.

I am going to build a 1x6 oak collar for the chest freezer that the lid will sit on. I am taking the oak off of my dead chest freezer to re-purpose them. Side note: If trying to get rid of liquid nails to remove wood from a dead chest freezer, piano wire works great.

Since it is winter right now, I don't have anywhere good to stain and spray paint so things are moving slowly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
schmoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The collar is sanded and nice and almost square. Here is everything dry-fitted.

img_4679.jpg

Here is a closeup of the drip dray. It is the drain, a 2" pvc spool piece and then an end cap. I may end up tapping the bottom of each cap and use tubing to a container in the chest freezer for a common drain. I haven't decided yet.

img_4682.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
StroudCreek
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Very Nice

Finley Creek Brewery

• On Tap - Mulberry Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Extra Stout, Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
• In Bottles - Oktoberfest
• In Primary -

Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default drains

Great looking keezer and nice drain idea.

Quick Reply