Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Frustrated with keg expense

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
paperairplane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Frustrated with keg expense

Just need to vent, so feel free to ignore this and not read it. Ready to get out of the bottle business. Setting up a parts list - I believe in buy once, cry once - don't spend money on cheap taps and then buy Perlicks in 3 months.

So even with a free fridge, a moderate 3 tap setup looks like at least $400 + Fridge + Corny's + thermostat control + drip tray + fabrication + misc parts.

Might not need everything day 1 - but it's a $1000 investment over time. Gonna want 6+ cornys, gonna want Perlicks, gonna want a 2 body regulator, etc.

I am DIY friendly and scrounging things together (BIAB, turkey fryer, Corona mill in a bucket, etc). WV Craigs list stinks - so no magically great deals.

I'll get there and don't mind piecing things together, but it is a little annoying how much $$$ it takes to keg beer. Hey SWMBO, I know I've been spending a lot on beer stuff lately - but I'd like to keg beer. So I need another $500 (provided I can find a free fridge). Looks like I'm gonna have 1 corny on a picnic tap for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I hear you. Just tell the SWMBO to take a pill and buy it all at once. Then be ready to sleep on the couch for a while... Take your time and buy it incrementally. It hurts way less and she will not notice the expense as quickly..

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I have been buying mine a little at a time. Mine went into the garage the other day and confessed to thinking 'damn, he's bought a lot of crap'. But then I've put up with her needlepoint, crochet and sewing hobbies for nearly 3 decades, so....

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Apple Pie Cider
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: Amarillo Pale Ale
Keg #2: California Honey Amber
Keg #3: Amarillo IPA
Keg #4: Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Keg #5: Imperial Pumpkin
Keg #6: Imperial Pumpkin Collaboration
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Belgian Rye

Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
paperairplane
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think the answer is to get dual regulator setup, run 1 tap for a while and then add distributor and more taps and more carnys as funds allow.

For that matter - garage is low to mid 40's this time of year, slap a picnic tap on the keg and drink it.

I'm getting my head around what I need - but tonight was first time I made a full parts list with costs. That was a mistake.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3468 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 2981

I started with a chest freezer, 2 kegs, and a couple of picnic taps.

Expanded to 4 kegs.

Bought 6 more kegs.

Bought another freezer. Build a keezer.

Bought SS perlicks, shanks, tubing.

Bought another regulator (dual, for beer and soda).

Manifolds for both freezers.

Considering a 3rd freezer.

Moral of story: you are only barely looking into the rabbit hole. It is deep. You should have taken the blue pill.

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
bsperr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just gather your parts a little at a time. A kegerator/keezer you put together with quality components (temp controller, perlicks, etc.) will serve you better than any of the consumer options available. Keep an eye on homebrew finds and other deal websites (I like slickdeals) to save money on the parts.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I started with two kegs, a single regulator in my old fridge. Bought another keg, bought a 4-way manifold. Could kinda tip-toe into it.

Now I'm fixin to drill some holes in the side of the fridge and have a proper kegerator.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I'm in the same place. Just dropped 380$ at kegconnection on a 4 tap setup. Still need the tank and kegs. Also plan on adding 2 nitro taps soon. I also went for good stuff. Taprite dual body and perlicks.

Already had the freezer/controller.

The best part is I haven't told swmbo anything.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
I'm in the same place. Just dropped 380$ at kegconnection on a 4 tap setup. Still need the tank and kegs. Also plan on adding 2 nitro taps soon. I also went for good stuff. Taprite dual body and perlicks.

Already had the freezer/controller.

The best part is I haven't told swmbo anything.
I just wait until the SWMBO starts tripping over new brewing equipment toys.Because believe it or not women tune conversations out like men do."Oh you forgot the conversation we had about me building another fermentation chamber over the past month?"...Yup that is a mini fridge i just got off CL

Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1284 Times on 1035 Posts

I just realized that at today's pricing the 14 ball lock kegs I've acquired over the years would cost just as much as the stainless 6 hole t-tower, half dozen Perls, tubing, 1x6 manifold, CO2 tank - and the Craig's List 10cf chest freezer. The only things not covered would be the controller, flare fittings and QDs, but when kegs hit $70 those will be covered and then some.

Woof. My condolences to kegging rookies everywhere...

Cheers!

Quick Reply