Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fruit Flies in beer bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
inwildness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruit Flies in beer bottles

After seeing what appeared to be a very small larvae (millimeter or so) I have been seeking to discover what could possibly be in my beer, and I mean a full capped bottle of beer. Finally, after days of googling larvae in beer I looked up fruit flies and found that fruit flies not only eat yeast and are attracted to CO2, but also have an alcohol tolerance.

If anybody else has heard of such a thing I would love to hear about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

That is creepy. Did you open ferment?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

just 1 bottle? or more... If 1 probably a freak (although gross) incident. more than 1... you have some Sanitation/Fly issues.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, stupid things are always all over the place. Best thing to do is to keep a trap for them. Which is pretty much a cup of soap and beer (or cider vinegar) and perhaps some water as well as a downspout so it's easier for them to get in than out. This way, the fruit flies trap themselves and drown in the liquid.

Haven't had them in a bottle, but I'm 90% sure I had them in a keg. Dumped the entire thing and it smelled badly of vinegar and had werd things in it. I think it flew in while I was transferring because it was fine from the primary.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
ImperialWolf
Recipes 

We had some fruit flys a couple years back. We just set out a bowl of cider vinegar for them and after about a week the problem was solved.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't know that they were attracted to co2, but it explains a lot. When we had them (anyone who's had them knows that they're like an infestation when you get them), they would always be in the airlocks of my brews. The airlocks were full of cheap vodka, so they died in there and didn't make it to the brew, but it grossed / freaked me out and led to a very thorough inspection of a carboy for about an hour.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
hypertension2
Recipes 

I had it happen today to me today. Played out like this.......someone that I gave a beer to to enjoy said why does this beer stink and what the hell is this stuff floating in here? I said bull**** give me that beer, i smelled....yuck, and i looked....WTH little floaty things.

I felt so stupid and mad at the same time. I didn't know what had happened because I made two cases and drank almost36 of the 48 bottles and nothing tasted bad at all. Now one bottle is all funked up, HOW???? It had to happen at the time of bottling due to it was in only one bottle. Didn't know this could happen till I googled it, got on this forum, and looked at them under a microscope at work. Yes I took a sample to work and made a slide and saw those lil bastards up close. Now I can say, lesson learned, thank God it was only one bottle, and I got my eye out for them now, game on.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A small bowl with cider vinegar and a pump of dishwashing soap mixed up will attract and kill them easily. Put that out in an area where you think you might have them.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
inwildness
Recipes 

Default Closed Fermentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso View Post
That is creepy. Did you open ferment?
Nope, primary to secondary carboy to bottling bucket to bottle. Figure it must have flown into the bottling bucket that was open.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
inwildness
Recipes 

Ended up being several of the bottles but not all of them, I think that the some flew into the open bottling bucket and laid eggs.

Quick Reply