Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Frigidaire upright freezer keezer-able?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 949 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think you might have good luck with the bending because mine is at least 40 years old so if that tubing can handle it, yours should too. I don't know why I took all the wires off of my tubes, it probably wasn't necessary.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #22
tentacles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Bending the shelves as you described - top one down and middle up and left - should present no problems. The trick with bending cooling lines, especially the aluminum ones (which are somewhat less durable to repeated bendings) is to spread the bend or twist (which is mostly what will be going on) over as much lenth as possible. In your case, you won't be bending so much as unbending, and twisting one of the two lines for each moved shelf. You could probably bend the bottom shelf up and left as well, but it would sit against the middle shelf in doing so.. IMO you should bend the middle and bottom shelves and use the top one for storing other stuff like bottles and yeast/hops/whatever. The bottom of the machine will then be taking the abuse of jostling kegs around and whatnot, rather than the shelf or some sort of platform, or the shelf sandwiched between a platform and the keg.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
xumbi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
Bending the shelves as you described - top one down and middle up and left - should present no problems. The trick with bending cooling lines, especially the aluminum ones (which are somewhat less durable to repeated bendings) is to spread the bend or twist (which is mostly what will be going on) over as much lenth as possible. In your case, you won't be bending so much as unbending, and twisting one of the two lines for each moved shelf. You could probably bend the bottom shelf up and left as well, but it would sit against the middle shelf in doing so.. IMO you should bend the middle and bottom shelves and use the top one for storing other stuff like bottles and yeast/hops/whatever. The bottom of the machine will then be taking the abuse of jostling kegs around and whatnot, rather than the shelf or some sort of platform, or the shelf sandwiched between a platform and the keg.
I have considered bending the bottom and middle shelves. I think if I did, the bottom shelf would result in an increased bend, whereas the others would be unbending. I will double check, since I would actually prefer this method.

By the way, I realized I had my angles wrong in my previous posts. The goal is to bend from 90 to 180 degrees, not from 90 to 0 degrees.

Thanks again for the feedback, I will post something in the DIY section after xmas when I start the conversion.

Edit: I was right, as can be seen in this pic:

If I bent the bottom shelf up in either direction, it would have to be a less than 90 degree bend, which I would like to avoid. I'm fine with just building a platform for the kegs to take the strain off the shelf, and giving up the convenience of an extra shelf at the top.

Last edited by xumbi; 12-04-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xumbi View Post
If I bent the bottom shelf up in either direction, it would have to be a less than 90 degree bend, which I would like to avoid.
I imagine you meant to say "more then"... for support, I would put corner posts (maybe a middle) one underneath the bottom shelf, and a board of some sort on top to help distribute the weight. Hope it all works out xumbi!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
xumbi
Recipes 

After much deliberation, I put the freezer back on craigslist, and surprisingly sold it for the same price within a day.

It turned out that the angles wouldn't work. The top shelf couldn't clear the middle shelf, and the middle shelf couldn't be moved until the top shelf came down... I didn't even try to bend it, I worked it all out with a tape measure. So the question is yet to be answered, whether or not this type of freezer coil can be bent safely.

My new plan is to pick up the 5.3 cu ft holiday chest freezer from lowes and convert that. Wish me luck!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #26
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Least you broke even, and since the money was spent before, it makes it easier to spend again!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
monibrew
Recipes 

It worked for me. No issues at all with the bend. I am in CA and if it were to break I would call the electric company and they pickup energy wasting appliances and give you $50.00. I paid $40.00 for this one used and could have made a profit.

Cheers.

Whats inside:
Irish Red Ale
Air

In the conical
Toungue Splitter IPA

In the mail
Carabou Slobber.

so-much-easier-than-bottling.jpg   whats-tap.jpg  

Quick Reply