Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Frigidaire 9 cu. ft. chest freezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Brewpatrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Frigidaire 9 cu. ft. chest freezer?

Anyone buy this from Lowes? I went there and priced it at $298. The 15 cu. ft. was just a bit too big for the space the wife is letting me have in the garage. lol. I will only be using it for 2 maybe 3 kegs at most once I start kegging but wanted the extra space to sore cases of bottled beer. I'd also like to use it as my fermentation chamber for now until I start kegging. Seemed like it had plenty of room for what I need as the 7.2 just looked too small. I already have a new Ranco 2 stage controller and fermwrap to regulate temps. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check Craigslist as well in your area. You're bound to find awesome deals on there. Instead of buying a brand new freezer from Home Depot for over $250, I decided to buy a used freezer. Picked it up for $50. That saved me enough money that I was able to buy a 2-keg system from Midwest and I was still under my original budget for just the freezer alone.

I think that the wifey would allow you to get a bigger freezer if you can prove to her that you're actually saving both of you money by buying a larger, used freezer! Just wanted to let you know though, after you get into kegging, you'll want to brew more and more beer. It's amazing how quickly the stuff goes when you can just go to your freezer and pour a perfect pint anytime you want to.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have two of these. One is a fermentation chamber and holds two carboys easily. The other is my just-finished keezer. It holds four kegs with room for a 10 lb CO2 tank. I only have two taps but could easily add more.

I paid about $250 each, as I recall. At Lowe's BTW.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
splifs
Recipes 

i'll second that craigslist comment, I just scored a 7.2 one for $90 and it was only a year old

Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with cl. I got a 13cu for $100. Watch cl for a few weeks you will probably be able to find some thing that works for you real cheap.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Brewpatrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Money doesn't matter to me when it comes to my beer. If my wife can buy $400-500 purses every month I can splurge on something for my beer. At least I keep telling myself I can. I'll post later after I ask her. lol.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

if money is no concern.

check out the commercial stand ups

Freezerless Refrigerators

;-)

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I just went with the Frigidaire 15 CUFT from Lowe's for $323.19 just a few buck more and twice the space, tell your wife to get ride of a few of those purses to make room in the garage for a larger unit....I would trade my wife in if she bought a $400+ anything!!!! Good luck

RLTW!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
BrewBeer4fun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Get the 9 cu. ft. from Lowes for $268!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpatrol View Post
Anyone buy this from Lowes? I went there and priced it at $298. The 15 cu. ft. was just a bit too big for the space the wife is letting me have in the garage. lol. I will only be using it for 2 maybe 3 kegs at most once I start kegging but wanted the extra space to sore cases of bottled beer. I'd also like to use it as my fermentation chamber for now until I start kegging. Seemed like it had plenty of room for what I need as the 7.2 just looked too small. I already have a new Ranco 2 stage controller and fermwrap to regulate temps. Any thoughts?
Brewpatrol, do yourself a favor and get the 9 cu. ft. from Lowes for $268 which is what I just did this past week. I bought new because I want to get this project done ASAP and did not want to wait for a Craigslist post which can take months to find the right deal. I also wanted it brand new in appearance, not beat up and filthy like most of the used ones I've seen. Finally, I wanted a warranty and the satisfaction of knowing that this relatively inexpensive Frigidaire model will/should last me for years to come (and keep many many homebrews cold)

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Quick Reply