Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fridge is coming today, nothing to keg!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
clayof2day
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fridge is coming today, nothing to keg!

Hey Guys,

I have an overwhelming feeling of joy, excitement, and resent. My Sanyo 4912M is coming today, I have my tower, 2 cornis, CO2, and regulator all ready to go and I'm super pumed to do the conversion.

Down side, No beer to put in the kegs!! I just bottled 2 batches about 3 weeks ago, so I have a ton of beer and I just put some in the primary Tuesday. I was half tempted to take some of my bottled beer, pour them gently into the chilled keg and get some pressure on it so I can have something to dispense on my virgin draught day.

Oh well, I should just tough it out and wait I guess. Just wanted to share my joy with you all!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

awesome! check out my signature for the build links for the 4912 if you have not already.

I just brewed the Bonneville Flats Bitter with edits from the BYO link below and threw it on a SNPA 1056 yeast cake. had activity in 1 hour and it is most likely done I wanted to test this recipe for 6 day beer (from brew to drinking) but it has been fermenting for 8 days now so I blew it and been too busy to worry about it! might be a worthy try and might even be a good brew who knows. I wouldn't suggest pouring into the keg although tempting I remember when mine was done mmmmmmm keg!

http://www.byo.com/feature/1476.html

busy busy busy

Old 06-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You can always go down to the local beer store and inquire about 1/6th kegs which are about the same as a soda keg in size and volume. I know it's not home brew, but it'll still be on tap!

A few tips regarding the conversion that you may want to keep in mind whilst converting:

a) Before you drill the 3" hole in the top of the fridge, put at least two screws(recommend four) back in the plastic top to keep it from shifting while you drill. Trust me, it will shift.

b) No matter how neat it looks when it falls through, do NOT touch the metal disk that was once your fridge top directly after drilling. It will be a tad hot...

c) Once you hit the styrofoam, sloooooow down and don't press too hard or you'll crack the plastic liner of the interior fridge wall. When you hit the foam, it will take off!

d) You might want to let the silicone sealant dry overnight with the door open before plugging the fridge back in to allow it to air out. Unless of course you like the smell. It will linger inside a closed fridge for about a week.

Just wanted to pass on a couple things I learned...

Good luck. It's actually REALLY easy.

My fridge:

P.S. You can see my gutted house in the background. I don't have a house, but I have a keg fridge...

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, that's what I love about this forum, even though I don't contribute that often, I read it ALL time at work.

I'll probably be doing the conversion tomorrow, so I'll keep you all up to date on how it goes.

I don't have any 1/2" plywood around the house and don't want to buy too much more than I need. Any ideas where I can go and grovel for scraps? Local lumberyard, condo construction, etc.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
passlaku
Recipes 

Before you start mix up equal parts alcohol and corn flour and paint it to the top to ID the Freon line. Remember the line is spot welded to the skin of the sheet metal and not in the insulation.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
sailman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passlaku
Before you start mix up equal parts alcohol and corn flour and paint it to the top to ID the Freon line. Remember the line is spot welded to the skin of the sheet metal and not in the insulation.

will this work for drilling into the back or side as well. i want to run my co2 line from the outside.

Bottled: Cherry Wheat
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Bottled: Traditional Mead
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale

Fermentor (2): Common Cider

Secondary: Holiday Cider

Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #7
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey All.

What setting do you typically keep your 4912 set at, or do you all use external temp. contorlloers. I was just curious, I bought a used one on ebay and wanted to make sure it would cool, so I plugged it in and it definatley cools, the plate in the back is all frosty after 15 or so min.

Just curious if anyone has found a setting on the dial that works well besides using an external.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
passlaku
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailman
will this work for drilling into the back or side as well. i want to run my co2 line from the outside.

Think about running the gasline through the drip hole in the back shelf. I am not sure whether or not the paste has enough of a consistency to stick to the wall of the unit.

Here is the rest of the build:

We also used metal duct tape to seal up the whole and ensure that the foam insulation doesn't crumble into the fridge in the years to come.

A buddy of mine helped me out by insisting on going with the bigger 8" square to improve the stability of the tower. You'll have to cut out the flaps of the larger square in the center of the plastic cover.

T-nuts were counter drilled into the wood to give the tower further stability. In this case the tower is attached to the wood which is siliconed onto the unit. This thing is solid.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
passlaku
Recipes 

This is the finished product. We ran a 3/16 tubing through drain hole (no need to drill more holes on the unit).

I'd suggest going over to ACE hardware or somewhere like that to find a scrap piece of 1/2 inch plywood. Most places will even cut it for you.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Back to the lack of beer issue. Many of the craft brewers in my area will fill a cornie for a price. You might ask around.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply