Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Freezer keezer kegerator with 3 towers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Freezer keezer kegerator with 3 towers

I posted here before about my 3 door bev-air kegerator having a shot compressor, I was quoted $700-$800 for the fix. Seeing all these keezers on this forum and having the annoyingly loud commercial unit, I decided keezer was the way to go.
So I got a freezer on craigslist and I've got it up and running. I ended up with 3 two tap towers so I figured what the hell, if a little bits good, a lots got to be better. 2 of the faucets are SS perlick fwd seal, one's a plastic creamer, one is a guinnness (not pictured) and the others are normal. I plan to cut out the lid to install my drip trays form the bev-air and get a better co2 setup. I'm not sure what I'll end up with in the long run but for now I'll have the 2 co2 tanks inside. Eventually I want the whole thing to run on the 1 20lb tank mounted outside, and I can get the 10lb tank filled w/ beergas for my stout faucet. So I can fit plenty of cornies in there, a 10 gallon, 3 gallon on the hump, etc. It's just about perfect in size. More room would be nice for stashing bottles. This will be stored outside so hence the insulation on the towers and the plugs on the faucets. I need to insulate the center tower and run new lines for it.
SO here's why I'm posting.
I need to cool the towers like before and I'm thinking of using the fan assembly from the old box. The assembly is huge though so I'd have to find a "project box" or something like that. This should keep the air moving around the freezer as well. Any thoughts on a decent sized box to put the fan in, and mounting ideas? I don't want to puncture a line on this thing. I also need a good place to poke the co2 line and thermostat probe (gas filled johnson controls, i would prefer a love controller or something). Would it be safe near the hinges?
I also may scavenge the thermostat from the bevair for another box I have to use as a lagering fridge.
Thanks
-Ben

Last edited by bendavanza; 01-20-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
bendavanza
Recipes 

drip trays I'd like to install (they have drains)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
bendavanza
Recipes 

and the fan assembly

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Off topic a bit, but where did you get the rockstar drip tray?

I would love to get a rubber drip tray like that - it doesn't need to say "rockstar" either.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

L-
Ask your favorite bartender, these are normal rubber drink mats. I got 3 from one bar that night, 2 blue CIROC vodka mats and a black Canadian Club. At the next bar I saw the rockstar and I asked the girl working there if she'd trade for one of the Ciroc.
Apparently beverage reps give them away to bars.
-Ben

Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I really like the look of recessed drip trays. Post some pics when you get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
Off topic a bit, but where did you get the rockstar drip tray?

I would love to get a rubber drip tray like that - it doesn't need to say "rockstar" either.
You can pick them up pretty cheap from here: Bar Products, Bar Supplies, Kitchen Equipment, Wine Accessories and lots more.

Look under Bar Supplies -> Bar Supplies 2
Secondary: Amarillo/Citra Pale ale
On Deck: Christmas Ale

Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

BTW those glass washer brush things (further down that page) are great at quickly washing up some glassware you don;t like putting in the dishwasher.
-Ben

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavanza View Post
L-
Ask your favorite bartender, these are normal rubber drink mats. I got 3 from one bar that night, 2 blue CIROC vodka mats and a black Canadian Club. At the next bar I saw the rockstar and I asked the girl working there if she'd trade for one of the Ciroc.
Apparently beverage reps give them away to bars.
-Ben
Thanks. "Rubber drink mats" got me where I needed to go. Googling "rubber drip tray" got me nowhere.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
bendavanza
Recipes 

umm
I killed that freezer with my trusty drill. New freezer and two towers rather than 3, a tighter fit but enough room. I made up a co2 manifold and I have a tower cooler from ebay on it's way. The seller built me a custom one made for two towers, and a fan speed control. Danby, kegerator, tower cooler, tap cooler, fan kit - eBay (item 290291230834 end time Jan-27-09 15:26:39 PST)

img_3221.jpg   img_3224.jpg  

Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

bdavanza- I'm looking to do the exact same thing with my freezer. I was wondering if you reinforced the lid with anything. Mine is just thin sheet metal that I think is going to bend and flex once I put the tower on. Also, I'm keeping mine inside and was hoping not to have to spring for a fan in order to cool the towers. Do you think the freezer will keep the towers cool enough by itself or am I going to need to get a fan? Thanks

Quick Reply