Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Found a place to refill co2 in NYC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

No, but I think it takes a day to get yours filled. I just do the exchange. My "new" tank is long gone now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #12
Wellshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you refuse to exchange then eventually you will have to leave your tank for an extended period to get a hydro and be charged for it. If you exchange you never have to worry about the hydro date. The supplier will get the hydro done which includes a new date stamp and you don't have to pay for it.

The aluminum tanks are cool and expensive, and everybody wants one. I had one, but I exchanged it for a steel tank because of all the hassel and since then have exchanged it many more times without any problems or worries. I've been exchanging CO2 tanks a lot longer than I've been brewing beer.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
Nerdie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

presto does refill in queens for a good price

Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to goto Presto before and they do refills on the spot and its a few bucks cheaper. Getting to Presto after work is 1.5 hour round trip for me. I do recommend Presto for those that can access it and it was originally recommended to me by another forum member.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

On the recommendation of the Brooklyn Homebrew blog I went to Simplex Fire Extinguisher Co. this morning to get a tank filled. They want you to call and make an appointment before you come in, but will fill it for you on the spot. They topped my 5 pound tank up for $20 and in just a few minutes I was out the door.

They're located at 1621 Mcdonald Ave, Brooklyn, NY‎ - (718) 998-1250.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Tech air will exchange a tank and will give an aluminum tank for a steel one . I bought two older steel tanks and now have two aluminum . Seems every time I go there is an even mix of tanks . They didn't even look at the date on the old one.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The gas industry exchanges tanks. That's just how they do business. I think they probably chuckle at home brewers when they are shocked to learn that they will have their tank swapped out. That said, a local industrial supply place has re-filled mine a few times, because it was shiny. They didn't want to swap it with an ugly one for me :P

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
On the recommendation of the Brooklyn Homebrew blog I went to Simplex Fire Extinguisher Co. this morning to get a tank filled. They want you to call and make an appointment before you come in, but will fill it for you on the spot. They topped my 5 pound tank up for $20 and in just a few minutes I was out the door.

They're located at 1621 Mcdonald Ave, Brooklyn, NY‎ - (718) 998-1250.

This place is the closest to my house but I could never get the owner to answer the phone.
First time I called him he answered but was leaving in 30 mins. Every single phone call since then was no answer and I left a VM once but he never called back.

What time of the day were you able to speak to someone? What part of Brooklyn are you in if you are close to Simplex?

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
What time of the day were you able to speak to someone? What part of Brooklyn are you in if you are close to Simplex?
I get the sense that the hours aren't very regular. I called them yesterday in the early afternoon and arranged to bring the tank in this morning.

I live in Prospect Heights, just off Grand Army Plaza. I rode my bike down there this morning with the tank in a backpack. Five miles in the rain makes for a pretty gross ride, but I thought it was a decent deal, and I didn't want to trade out my brand new tank. The fact that they filled it on the spot was nice too. Hopefully they can help you out next time and be a good source for a while.

PS I got a notification that you tried to send a PM but that it got bounced due to a full inbox. I cleared out a couple messages so feel free to try again if you had other questions outside this thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
deadsirios
Recipes 

Just called around town to fill a 10 lb tank:

Atlantic Industrial Gas - $15 on the spot! (7:30am - 3pm)
Atlantic Welding Supply - $20 drop-off / pick-up same week (7am - 4pm)
Simplex Fire Extinguisher - $25 call before you go, cuz they're on the road all day

popping by Atlantic Gas tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply