Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > found a freezer, and i want to start kegging.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
SomedumbJerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default found a freezer, and i want to start kegging.

i just moved into this house a little while ago, and in the basement there is this glorious old freezer. 30" deep, and big. oh and free! it works great, so i've decided, after a bad bottling day, that i'm going to start kegging. i now have a chest freezer and a stand up freezer to spare, so storage shouldn't be a problem. what is the best way to get into it? morebeer.com has a kit with a picnic tap + 5# co2 tank + 1 5gal. corny for 185 shipped. any better deals? i promisd the lady that the draft tower would wait until my big comission checks start coming. also any advice from the wiser for a new kegger? i've read most of the FAQ's on the sticky already.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Augie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just picked this up on midwest: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7739

Shipping was only $17 so out the door it was $217 for everything but the fridge. Looking around this was the best deal I could find at the moment.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If its not a 220 line spend $20 and get a Kill-a-watt meter (I think I got mine from Newegg.com). It plugs inline to anything on 120v and will measure power consumption over time. Some of these old appliances have really inefficient compressors and poor insulation. I've heard of some stories where 1/4-1/3 of someone's electric bill was due to that "old" thing we keep around.

It's great around the house to see how much juice certain things are pulling. And remember, while electricity is cheap in many areas, its not just the wasted electricity, that waste also produces heat that needs to be removed (air conditioning) during certain times of the year.

HTH

Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use the chest freezer for fermenting and the stand up freezer for serving, just put shanks through the door. You can fit more fermenters in the chest freezer and the stand up can have higher up taps.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
SomedumbJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that's exactly what i think i'm going to do. also with power consumption, the house has free util's in the rent. i don't like wasting electricity, but when it comes to beer, it's hardly wasting...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you are looking for a shank through the door setup. I just ordered a kit from kegconnetion (it will be here tomorrow). It was the best price I could find around for a 2 tap system. You can also call to get anything added or removed from the kit online. I would link to what I bought for you but I can not seem to get the site to come up.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That Midwest deal is a good one with 2 cornies and dual regulator. It's better than the Morebeer package. Once you get setup you can scrounge for more used kegs.

Gary

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont know if the standup freezer you speak of was also in the house, but if it was, i would be careful about drilling holes into it. The owner of the house might not appreciate it.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedumbJerk View Post
that's exactly what i think i'm going to do. also with power consumption, the house has free util's in the rent. i don't like wasting electricity, but when it comes to beer, it's hardly wasting...
No problem then. If you're not paying for it, go for broke!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
SomedumbJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i got the three keg system for midwest.com, i'm going to just use the picnic taps for now, until i get enough money for the SS shanks and perlick faucets, which people seem to swear by. and the beauty of this house is it's being torn down in two years to make room for town homes in California (as if there isn't a housing crisis) and the fridges have all been left here by Previous tenants! it's in the lease if one breaks it's no ones fault, and it's up to us to get a new one! so i can do whatever i want to them! sorry, i just had about three of my "imperial Kolsch's" (went a little crazy with honey and ended up with 10% ABV) and i'm all excited cause they are fantastic.... can't wait to keg the Apfelwien on 5/15!

Quick Reply