Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > force carbonation vs priming a keg with corn sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default force carbonation vs priming a keg with corn sugar

I'm working on a plan to compare the two methods side by side. The things I'm wondering are,
how much head space in the keg and how it will play a roll in priming.
seating the keg lid with co2 when priming how much co2 will be needed and will that amount of co2 need to factored in?

I know co2 is co2 but I'm planning on serving a mild cask style soon and I want to get this right.

damn I gotta brew something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default This might be over my head!

I have had the kegerator going for little over a year. Force carbonation is great when you need some beer stored in the closet, or a fast 5 gallons to serve (24 hours and wham...carbonated beer!). I have noticed in the short amount of time that I have had the system up is, that forcing carbonating will not let it clear. I appreciate any imput on perfecting my clarity, but the ol 10 psi for about three days... it sure is clear!

Sorry but priming sugar in a keg, is beyond me. If I have priming sugar, I put it in when the recipe calls for the honey, or corn syrup (I am going for the alcohol content).

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We boil up about 2.5 ozs of sugar in some water and toss it in the keg. We fill the keg to a couple inches below the lid. Our PSI is usually set at about 30 to seat the lid (I'm sure you could do less), purge the air out, keep the CO2 connected a few minutes until we don't hear the hiss anymore, remove CO2 and let it sit for a few weeks to carb up.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
We boil up about 2.5 ozs of sugar in some water and toss it in the keg. We fill the keg to a couple inches below the lid. Our PSI is usually set at about 30 to seat the lid (I'm sure you could do less), purge the air out, keep the CO2 connected a few minutes until we don't hear the hiss anymore, remove CO2 and let it sit for a few weeks to carb up.
that is pretty much the process that I'm thinking about, would that be for 2.5 volumes?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For some reason you use half the amount of sugar for kegging than you do bottling. I'm sure there is a scientific explanation but I don't know it.

I said 2.5 ozs because 5 ozs is what I use for bottling unless the style calls for something different. I have to admit I let Beer Smith do my calculations when it come to figuring out how much priming sugar to use.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm guessing that you are shooting for 2.5 volumes.

I have heard the same thing about the amount of sugar to prime with. I guess that I will use that as a starting point.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
linusstick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian View Post
I'm guessing that you are shooting for 2.5 volumes.

I have heard the same thing about the amount of sugar to prime with. I guess that I will use that as a starting point.
No I love highly carbonated witbiers so I am going with 3.9

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
This is very interesting. You put 30 psi into it along with the priming sugar, remove the CO2 connector, and then forget it in the kegerator? What temp are you storing it at while it's doing it's business?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
This is very interesting. You put 30 psi into it along with the priming sugar, remove the CO2 connector, and then forget it in the kegerator? What temp are you storing it at while it's doing it's business?
No, it doesn't go in the kegerator. It's stored at room temperature. It won't carb up at fridge temperatures as it relies on the yeast fermenting the priming sugar to carbonate.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Interesting. What's the benefits to this over just setting the regulator to 9 psi and letting it go for 2 weeks? You'd have hook it up to the CO2 tank anyway to serve it right?

Quick Reply