Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force Carbonation 101

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Default Force Carbonation 101

So I got my cornies and I moved my Kolsch out of the secondary into a keg last night. I did not prime it.

I still don't have a regulator and fittings yet...but I'm close. I plan to let this keg age in the garage (39 degrees) for a couple more weeks anyway, but I'm wondering:

Once I get gas set up, can you give me the ABC's of doing a forced carbonation? Note that this keg has about 6 inches of head space (darn trub) if that makes a difference.

An also question: Will a keg of beer "condition" differently once it is force carbonated? I don't want to halt any flavor improvements by being impatient about carbonating. This is a Kolsch, and I understand that patience is a virtue.

Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

You can just hook it up at serving pressure and let it sit for a week. That's what I usually do. If you're in a hurry, you can shake it. If you're in a BIG hurry, you can crank up the psi to 30 and shake it.

Just make sure to purge the oxygen from the top of the keg. Just pull the relief valve a few times.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
kfgolfer
Recipes 

I would let the beer age for as long as you feel is needed in your basement or somewhere and when you think it's ready, hook it up to about 10-12 psi and let it sit another 5 days or so and it will be carbonated nicely. If you want it faster, crank in more gas and shake the keg... Remember, forced carbonation is not a replacement for aging.. Your beer will still need the same conditioning time as with bottling for a better tasting beer.
You can also hook up the gas at serving pressure and have it sit for 2-3 weeks.. I've done that and the beer tasted great. and yes, purge the oxygen out by using the release valve a few times.. very important.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply