Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > force carbonating the new tap-a-draft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
goodsuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Is it possible to put already carbonated beer into the TAD system and just use it to serve?
I would imagine so. I wouldn't fill it past the neck or add a CO2 cartridge until it doesn't dispense beer by itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Is it possible to put already carbonated beer into the TAD system and just use it to serve?
Hi

It's no different than a growler in that respect. With no pressure you will need to drink fast before it all goes flat.

Bob

Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
It's no different than a growler in that respect. With no pressure you will need to drink fast before it all goes flat.
Well, with a $35 dispenser and $8.50 bottle, it better be different than a $5 growler.

My plan was to transfer kegged and carbonated beer into one and then give it to a friend, who could use it to serve from his fridge (with the TAD regulator and co2 cartridges). From the stuff I read, it says that the dispenser keeps it at 15 psi so I didn't think it would go flat.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
gdilly
Recipes 

I have been using the new TAD for a month now and have force carbonated twice. Both times it came out great but the beer was a little green. I ended up using one cartridge to force carbonate and other to dispense. The trick is to ensure that you have the beer in TAD cold before adding the cartridge.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Well, with a $35 dispenser and $8.50 bottle, it better be different than a $5 growler.

My plan was to transfer kegged and carbonated beer into one and then give it to a friend, who could use it to serve from his fridge (with the TAD regulator and co2 cartridges). From the stuff I read, it says that the dispenser keeps it at 15 psi so I didn't think it would go flat.
Hi

The original question didn't mention using the CO2, so I assumed the idea was to eliminate it...

Bob

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdilly View Post
I have been using the new TAD for a month now and have force carbonated twice. Both times it came out great but the beer was a little green. I ended up using one cartridge to force carbonate and other to dispense. The trick is to ensure that you have the beer in TAD cold before adding the cartridge.
So does that mean the CO2 won't go into solution if you add the cart when the beer is warm and then get it cold? I assumed it would work that way since people often put 12-15lbs of CO2 on their kegged beer and let it sit for a week or two at room temp before chilling it.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

At room temperature and normal pressures (12 psi), very little CO2 will go into the beer. You either need high(er) pressure at room temp or low temp and normal pressure. Either way it will take weeks. High pressure at low temp will speed things up.

Bob

Old 07-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Quote:
The original question didn't mention using the CO2, so I assumed the idea was to eliminate it...
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The issue I'm seeing is that I'd need to modify a cap somehow to fit a ball lock post. I think the TAD bottles use the big caps, so a simple carbonator cap wouldn't work to transfer.

I would prefer to do a pressurized transfer and not just pour beer into the TAD.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Hi

At room temperature and normal pressures (12 psi), very little CO2 will go into the beer. You either need high(er) pressure at room temp or low temp and normal pressure. Either way it will take weeks. High pressure at low temp will speed things up.

Bob
I can't seem to get this to carb up, even when it was really cold and I kept shaking the heck out of it over several days. Should I leave it at room temp and bleed off the pressure and prime it with sugar instead? I'm guessing I need to use less sugar but I have no idea how much to compensate since there is some CO2 in the beer.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

If you use sugar, you need it at room temp (ale yeast won't operate at fridge temp). If you force carb it, you need it at fridge temp (otherwise, you need more psi to carbonate to same volumes at higher temp)...you will probably need multiple cartridges too. As I haven't owned one of these, you might want to check other threads...but I believe people have said that it takes multiple carts to full carb a bottle.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS