The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > force carbonating the new tap-a-draft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
goodsuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default force carbonating the new tap-a-draft

I've searched for posts from tap-a-draft owners who successfully force carbonate but I've only found them from owners of the old version, and I've heard the new version has issues with it. Are there any owners of the new version who can confirm force carbonating works?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
SmellMyWort
Recipes 

I just filled my first tap-a-draft this morning. I'm carbing two naturally and one I've got in the fridge force-carbing, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm planning (maybe hoping) to serve on Saturday so I've got my fingers crossed.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

If it will hold pressure, and it must to carb at all, you can force carb in it. The real question is how much pressure? I'd vote for keep it nice and cold so you don't need much pressure.....

Bob

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I find that connecting the TAD to a paintball tank and regulator makes it easier for me to force carbonate. Here is a good calculator: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdouglas View Post
I find that connecting the TAD to a paintball tank and regulator makes it easier for me to force carbonate. Here is a good calculator: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html
That is my goal. I bought a regulator and I'm picking up a 9oz co2 cylinder on Saturday. I also order the "TAD Adapter" since I priced all of the parts I would need to modify 2 co2 cartridges and it came to about $20, so for $30 I don't have to mess with it and I get a proven system.

When you force carb do you leave your regulator on without worrying about the TAD venting your co2? At what pressure do you leave your regulator set to while force carbing, and for how long?

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use taps from the Miller/Coors system and do not have a problem with it venting.

When I first received the TAD Adapter, I had trouble with leaking (my own fault). Once I solved it, all was well. First I will chill the TAD keg in my fridge, then apply between 10-15 psi (depending on the level of carbonation I want) for about two weeks. I'm more of a set and forget type of person, and I'm also afraid what it will do if I apply too much pressure. This doesn't save a ton of time over priming with sugar, so I don't do it that often. I don't know if this is needed, but I will turn down/off my regulator before my first pour, then set it and leave it at 7 psi. I am curious to what others do.

I hope this helps and I hope it's clear. Can others comment if they've applied more pressure or tried shaking the TAD keg to see if that improves the speed of carbonation? I'm also curious to hear others experience with force carbing a TAD keg.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@jcdouglas - are you able to force carb using the Miller/Coors taps without any modifications?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I needed to make some modifications. Rick, a fellow homebrewer, sold me an adapter on ebay that I was able to hook up to my regulator and paintball tank. The same adapter can be used on the taps that you can purchase directly from the company.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is it possible to put already carbonated beer into the TAD system and just use it to serve?

Quick Reply