Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbonating. NEED HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
baer19d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force carbonating. NEED HELP!!

What's the proper technique for force carbonating? I've tried to carbonate with the recommended volumes of Co2 and the beers flat. Next I crank up the pressure to 20-30psi and shake the keg. Sometimes it will carbonate and sometimes it won't. I always place the kegs in the frig to get them nice and cold first. What am I doing wrong? How long should it take to carbonate? Thanks, Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Generally speaking, I keep my kegs at about 11-12 psi and 39 degrees. It takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to carbonate them like that.

Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I set it for 30 psi for a couple of days and then purge the keg and reset at 12 psi. It's carbed up in 4-5 days like that.

I've heard that some people shake the keg to get it to absorb the co2 faster, but I've also read about a lot of people who have foamy beer that way. It would work, though, if you really wanted the beer carbed up fast.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
skatensx
Recipes 

i have the same problem. i have two kegs that have been sitting at 12psi for almost 8 weeks. i only have a few bubbles and they disappear too quickly, and the beer tastes mostly flat. i don't believe i have any leaks.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatensx View Post
i have the same problem. i have two kegs that have been sitting at 12psi for almost 8 weeks. i only have a few bubbles and they disappear too quickly, and the beer tastes mostly flat. i don't believe i have any leaks.
What's the temperature of the kegs?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i keep my kegs at 39 degrees and 10-12 psi. When carbing, I just set them at 10-12 psi and give them a quick shake whenever i walk by. it takes maybe a week to carb them, and i haven't had any foaming issues yet.. at least, not like i did when boosting the psi to 30+ trying to carb.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
GermanBlood
Recipes 

Hmmm... perhaps that's why I've always had a problem with serious foam / head... someone I bought my keg equipment told me to run it at 30 psi, rock the keg back and forth on your knee like a baby, until gas stops chumming up into the tank, then come back 1 hr later, repeat and you're set. But like I said, I have some serious foam issues for the first 20 or so pours because of this. I keep my keg at around 35 degrees btw...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I set mine in the fridge at 30psi for 2 1/2 days, then re-set to serving pressure. This usually gets me close enough to the carbonation level that I want to drink immedeatly (if I need to ) but it will even out to where I want in about a week.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I carb at 30psi for 2-3 days, then drop the pressure to about 18 for the rest of the week. The beer is drinkable then, but gets better a week or two later. The beer carbonates fairly quickly, but it takes a while for the carbonic acid to build up. I like that "bite".

Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I carb at 30psi for 2-3 days, then drop the pressure to about 18 for the rest of the week. The beer is drinkable then, but gets better a week or two later. The beer carbonates fairly quickly, but it takes a while for the carbonic acid to build up. I like that "bite".
+1, but I have my system balanced at 8-12 PSI depending on the beer. Make sure you bleed the excess pressure when you drop it to your serving PSI.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

All your answers are here.

Be methodical, but always aim to undershoot regardless of how you wish to accelerate your force carb. Then it can equalize over the next few days after. It will still get better over a couple weeks regardless of method.

Quick Reply