Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbonating back sweetened cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

What winemakers (and meadmakers and cidermakers) do is ferment the beverage until dry. Once it's clear and no longer dropping any lees, the drink is racked into the keg with potassium metabisulfite (sulfites) and sorbate (a preservative). After a couple of days, the wine/cider/mead is sweetened as desired.

The sorbate doesn't kill yeast, but it inhibits yeast reproduction. Once the cider is clear, and it's not dropping sediment any more, that means very little yeast in suspension. Adding the sorbate will stop the yeast from reproducing, and so the cider won't ferment again when sugar/honey/apple juice is added.

Alternatively, the keg can be kept cold in a fridge and that will inhibit fermentation as well.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
What winemakers (and meadmakers and cidermakers) do is ferment the beverage until dry. Once it's clear and no longer dropping any lees, the drink is racked into the keg with potassium metabisulfite (sulfites) and sorbate (a preservative). After a couple of days, the wine/cider/mead is sweetened as desired.

The sorbate doesn't kill yeast, but it inhibits yeast reproduction. Once the cider is clear, and it's not dropping sediment any more, that means very little yeast in suspension. Adding the sorbate will stop the yeast from reproducing, and so the cider won't ferment again when sugar/honey/apple juice is added.
Any way to not add metabisulfite's to the cider? I heard a lot of people get headaches from sulfites And I really like to go as natural as possible. I have never added any thing to my cider except yeast sugar and the juice, But I'm very new at this.

Is there a way to pasteurize the yeast with out using sulfites or chemicals?

Someone at the beginning of this thread talked about a ceramic filter and said it was around $100 but I'm wondering how long that will last And if that will keep me from having to add sulfates or something like that to my cider?

If I get the family or friends three sheets to the wind off my cider I don't want them to get headaches after..

So is warming up my cider to kill the yeast not going to work? Will it remove any flavor or alcohol?

I would like to be able to back sweeten the cider and have carbonation and do it as natural as possible....
Any way to do this ?

No one has answered if I can just warm the cider to 150° to kill the yeast?
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Alternatively, the keg can be kept cold in a fridge and that will inhibit fermentation as well.
This is what I do. You just have to keep it cold until you drink it all.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy

This is what I do. You just have to keep it cold until you drink it all.
Oh, then I won't need to pasteurized this?
So I only pasteurize the bottles if I give it away, But can keep the cider in the keg and not worry about pasteurizing?
That would be great if I don't have to pasteurize...

My plan was after secondary fermentation to put my cider in a bottling bucket and sweeten to taste and then rack it into the keg...
This is my main goal I think....

To be honest I don't really care if it's pasteurized or not as long as it's carbonated, semisweet and drinkable....
I guess the pasteurization would only be important if I'm going to give bottles out to people and don't want bottle bombs, is this correct?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

[DELETED]
Double posted the same thing ...

Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #16
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post

So I only pasteurize the bottles if I give it away, But can keep the cider in the keg and not worry about pasteurizing?

My plan was after secondary fermentation to put my cider in a bottling bucket and sweeten to taste and then rack it into the keg...

To be honest I don't really care if it's pasteurized or not as long as it's carbonated, semisweet and drinkable....
I guess the pasteurization would only be important if I'm going to give bottles out to people and don't want bottle bombs, is this correct?
Yes, that's my understanding. I'm no expert, but it's worked for me for 6 batches now. I usually just dump some fresh cider into the keg and rack on top of it. I usually do a 1:4 Ratio (cider to hard cider). I like it a little on the sweet side.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #17
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post

Yep, no need to kill the yeast if you store it at fridge temps. I make 15 gal batches and let it ferment out until dry. Then I add a can or two of frozen juice concentrate to the bottom of a corny keg, rack 5 gal of dry cider on top of it, throw it in the keezer, carb it up, and serve it.

Two cans of frozen concentrate per 5 gal dry cider will yield something not quite as sweet as Hornsbys or Woodchuck. The one on tap right now was backsweetened with raspberry-cranberry juice, and everyone seems to love it.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Remember that sulfites are a normal product of fermentation. So if anybody tells you that sulfites give them headaches, and they drink a "sulfite free wine" without headaches that they're full of it. There is no such thing as a sulfite free wine or cider- some might not have "added sulfites" but sulfites are produced during fermentation.

People that are truly sensitive to sulfites (rare, but it happens) can't eat raisins, hot dogs, any dried fruits, etc. There are far more sulfites in raisins than in any homemade wine or cider.

Not important really, and you don't have to add extra sulfites to your cider, but I wanted to point out that most "red wine headaches" do NOT come from sulfites.

If someone can eat a package of raisins, they won't get a headache from wine.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Mr_Pear Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #19
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Remember that sulfites are a normal product of fermentation. So if anybody tells you that sulfites give them headaches, and they drink a "sulfite free wine" without headaches that they're full of it. There is no such thing as a sulfite free wine or cider- some might not have "added sulfites" but sulfites are produced during fermentation.

People that are truly sensitive to sulfites (rare, but it happens) can't eat raisins, hot dogs, any dried fruits, etc. There are far more sulfites in raisins than in any homemade wine or cider.

Not important really, and you don't have to add extra sulfites to your cider, but I wanted to point out that most "red wine headaches" do NOT come from sulfites.

If someone can eat a package of raisins, they won't get a headache from wine.
Very good information, thank you. I, just like them were under the impression that the sulfates were what gave you the headaches. A fair amount of people get "wine headaches". What does that come from? Not sulfites?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #20
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Anyway, the ceramic filter is reusable. Generally, you'll make three runs: a 5 micron poly filter, a 2 micron paper filter, then the 0.5 micron ceramic.

But, keeping it cold also works.

Most cornies have a relief valve set around 125 psi, so even if it got a bit fermented, the keg would not explode.

You would have a 'surprise' if you tapped it at 120 psi.

RWH Fairly good write up.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply