Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Steveo_55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force carbonating

When force carbonating, do you have to leave the beer hooked up to the gas line?

I've read the different ways of carbing like the "set and forget" and the "shaking" but there is never any mention of whether or not to leave the gas line connected to the keg while it is carbonating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
BROWN
Recipes 

in my very limited experience, i think either way can work. i didn't have much success by forcing the CO2 in and unhooking the lines though.

i had much better success leaving the lines on for 24 hours at 30 PSI, then turning the gas off, unhooking the gas, purging the air, resetting the PSI to about 10, and rehooking the lines.

the pro to unhooking the lines after the immediate forcing of CO2 would be to save gas if there's a leak somewhere. i don't have a leak, so leaving the lines hooked up overnight ensured that my beer would be getting CO2 and just made me feel a little more confident in the process.

again, i've got super-limited experience, just two kegs thus far, and i'm still learning. but i got better results when the keg was already chilled and the lines stayed hooked up throughout the process.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I kegged my first batch with CO2 tonight (previously did a corn-sugar priming in the keg and a picnic set up to dispense). So again, this is "my understanding" but it works like this as far as I can understand:

1) shake carb will carb your beer up quickly, so once you are done shaking it about, you can actually disconnect the gas until you want to serve it. At which time reconnect at ca. 12 psi and you should be good to go

2) 24hr high pressure carb, as described above, needs the gas on for 24 hrs and then again for a few days (?) before you dispense

3) set and forget you keep the keg hooked up to the gas

I'm doing option 2, I have my farmhouse summer ale at 30 psi just now, turn it down to 12 tomorrow and it should be drinkable come the weekend.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've been force carbonating for about four years now, and have done it many different ways like setting the CO2 and leaving it on for a week or so, shaking and disconnecting, Cranking it up shaking and dropping it back down. they all work, but what I found is that it is good to have a line connected to a picnic tap to test the carbonation daily, because you can always add more but it's hard to take it away.

These days, I'll put the line pressure to where I need it to be to get desired carbonation, and let it pressurize then I roll the keg on my lap for a few minutes with the keg line still attached, then let it sit for 24hr attached at the same pressure.

This for the most part gets you to where you need to be, but its good to test it often, till you get where you need to be.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Force carbing via "set and forget" or "30psi and shake".. either way, you need to leave the gas line connected.

BTW, I tried the 30 psi and shake method.. it always seems to overcarbonate my beer. I've found that if you hook up the gas at the serving pressure, and just give it a quick shake when you walk by, it'll be carbonated in just a few days. I haven't overcarbed with this method yet; it always comes out just right.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I normally hook up the gas, crank the pressure to about 15 psi for a week or so, then lower it to serving pressure and drink.....

I can pour a pint, leave it, and 20 minutes later it still has co2 bubbling up......

works great

Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

So for most ales, what is the correct serving pressure? 10-12psi?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
most ales is 10-12psi.
I do not like the shake method of carbing, I would rather do 30psi for 2 days, or set and forget.
I leave my gas line connected and on.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
most ales is 10-12psi.
I do not like the shake method of carbing, I would rather do 30psi for 2 days, or set and forget.
I leave my gas line connected and on.
Yeah, that's what I do. If I'm not in a hurry, I set it at 12 psi and wait a week or two. If I'm in a hurry, I set it at 30 psi for a day or two, purge and reset to 12 psi. Shaking just seems to cause overcarbonation for me.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
It's based on what temp your beer is stored at. Check out the chart Keg Carbonation Chart
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply