Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > force carbonate a growler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
scifi_13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default force carbonate a growler

i think this could be used to force carbonate a growler or gallon container. that way i could enjoy my beer while i wait for the rest of it to bottle condition. kickstarter the tapit cap. even if you can't force carbonate with it, it still keeps the growler fresh. let me know what your thoughts are on the matter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rs-best-friend

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the FAQ on that seems BS. I'm guessing most growlers would not handle 100 PSI. No way his measurements are correct.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree. If 105psi was the average failure pressure, why set the pressure relief so low?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
scifi_13
Recipes 

i think the relief valve is set so low because it is designed to keep carbonation not carbonate the beer. mostly just get the oxygen off the beer. using this to force carbonate is a secondary purpose i think it could be used for.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
scifi_13
Recipes 

got a response from the creator: "The TapIt Cap cannot be used to actively force carb beer but it can passively. By actively I mean turning the pressure to 80 PSI and shaking it around like you would with a corny keg. It can be used to passively carbonate beer if it is cold and you use a CO2 tank and regulator."

Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I am very suspicious of his claims. My local brewery won't serve Nitro beer in a growler, because they claim it may shatter. Nitro beers are around 30 psi.

So 100 psi sounds very high.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have followed this for a while, since the inventor and invention was adopted by a favorite local brewery, Strange. The question of growler pressures intrigued me. We have all heard "you cannot carbonate in a growler" and "never add priming sugar to try and carbonate in a growler" and so on.

How much of this is myth? Has anyone actually first of all, measured the pressures created when bottle carbonating using priming sugar? Second of all, has anyone really done any burst testing on growlers? This guy is the first I have read, yet there must be industry data out there. I have some growlers that are fairly thin, and others that have really thick, heavy glass.

During some of my long cycling trips, we used to take one liter soda bottles, make a hole in the cap, insert a used tire tube valve and pump them up to bursting, which would result in a very loud bang to of course disturb the other campers.

It seems to me that someone with some time and the right protection could take this idea of tire valves and a floor pump and some kind of protective box and test a variety of bottles and growlers and come up with some numbers.

Likewise, there must be some pressure gauge that keeps the high pressure and could be rigged to a bottle cap to actually measure the maximum pressure generated during carbonation.

Let's get some evidence!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
I have followed this for a while, since the inventor and invention was adopted by a favorite local brewery, Strange. The question of growler pressures intrigued me. We have all heard "you cannot carbonate in a growler" and "never add priming sugar to try and carbonate in a growler" and so on.

How much of this is myth? Has anyone actually first of all, measured the pressures created when bottle carbonating using priming sugar? Second of all, has anyone really done any burst testing on growlers? This guy is the first I have read, yet there must be industry data out there. I have some growlers that are fairly thin, and others that have really thick, heavy glass.

During some of my long cycling trips, we used to take one liter soda bottles, make a hole in the cap, insert a used tire tube valve and pump them up to bursting, which would result in a very loud bang to of course disturb the other campers.

It seems to me that someone with some time and the right protection could take this idea of tire valves and a floor pump and some kind of protective box and test a variety of bottles and growlers and come up with some numbers.

Likewise, there must be some pressure gauge that keeps the high pressure and could be rigged to a bottle cap to actually measure the maximum pressure generated during carbonation.

Let's get some evidence!
I think the issue is that growlers are not designed for pressure, and different manufacturers may have different qualities to their product. I knew someone who lost an eye to a shattered wine bottle (put a hot bottle of champagne in an ice chest- boom! - not smart), and don't think that a use for a product that is not intended for that use is a good idea.

Far easier to just learn to drink em five at a time!

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I am very suspicious of his claims. My local brewery won't serve Nitro beer in a growler, because they claim it may shatter. Nitro beers are around 30 psi.
This doesn't make sense to me. Nitro beers are served around 30 PSI, but the pressure drops near ambient as soon as it goes through the restrictor plate and into the glass (or growler). Unlike with CO2, very little nitrogen is actually dissolved into the beer, so any pressure that would form in the headspace of a growler will be almost entirely due to the CO2. Since nitro beers are carbonated to a pretty low level, the growler would actually be under significantly lower pressure than one filled with a traditionally carbed beer.

Regardless, I would never pressurize a growler anywhere near 100 PSI.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

. . . . still no real data, there must be some google-search geeks who can find actual tests to prove or disprove this as a good or bad idea. I am thinking now how thin the glass is on "40s"....

This one would probably work to measure carbonation pressures

http://www.usabluebook.com/p-273412-...m-pointer.aspx

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Quick Reply