Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing vs. Serving pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
marqoid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Force carbing vs. Serving pressure

I have a keezer with 4 kegs. I typically set my regulator to my desired level of carbonation and wait to force carbonate. Then I burp the keg and reduce the pressure to 5-10psi for serving.
Right now I only have 1 regulator. Is there any reason to have more than two? That would give one to force carbonate and one (with multiple lines) to serve from at a constant 5-10psi.
I see some systems with 4-5 regulators; what's the purpose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
mvhsbball22
Recipes 

Someone with more experience may correct me, because I don't have a multi-regulator setup; that being said, I gather that people put multiple regulators because some styles call for different serving PSIs. That way, they can serve a Cream Ale with higher carbonation than, say, an IPA. And they can also force carb, at the same time. Basically the more regulators, the more freedom you have to serve different styles at different PSI.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The vast majority of us don't use different carb and serving pressures. Lower serving pressure will leave you with flat (or at least flatter) beer by the end of the keg. Knowing that, you can see why some people need to have different pressures available for different beers.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
meddin
Recipes 

Check out this well illustrated thread for a good write-up

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I have three. The primary runs at 35 psi for soda and supplies the secondaries. One secondary is set at 12 psi for most beers and one at 2 psi for "real" ales.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply