Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing at serving pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
WilliamstonBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Force carbing at serving pressure

First, I am newish to kegging (put my 3rd keg in the fridge this afternoon).

Second, yes, I searched the forums for a while and didn't find any discussion regarding a method of force carbing I want to try tomorrow.

And C, I am impatient. Also, I've had inconsistent results with setting to 30psi and shaking (overcarbed a beer big time, but it was a crappy, under-attenuated wheat that I gunned into some bottles and stuffed in the basement where they're serving time-out for being bad).

What if I set the regulator to 12psi (which is a balanced carbing/serving pressure the way I'm set up) and shook a cold keg until the regulator stops hissing? Theoretically, would this produce a beer carbed to 12psi quickly? The agitation will force the CO2 into solution and when the regulator stops, wouldn't it mean the solution has absorbed all it's going to and I am at equalibrium?

Just a thought... I am sure there's something I am not considering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

yes, this will work, provided your keg of beer is at serving temps.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

As long as the beer is cold that should work.

Agitating beer makes beer gods angry and also congeals foam-positive proteins. Once they are spent, they are no longer available for a nice head on your beer. You probably know this and don't care.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
Agitating beer makes beer gods angry and also congeals foam-positive proteins. Once they are spent, they are no longer available for a nice head on your beer. You probably know this and don't care.
I never even heard this one until you mentioned it the other day on a different thread, but I'm going to call "boogeyman" on it. I've done the shaking thing on a couple of kegs recently and the head and head retention are just fine on those beers.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
Hmm... I've never heard that, actually. I had decent head formation/retention on the first batch I agitated.

Anyhow, if this method works and gets beer carbed correctly and quickly... is this common practice? I mean, unless you're SO lazy you can't manage to shake a keg for a bit and would rather wait a week or more, wouldn't this be the way to go?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I never even heard this one until you mentioned it the other day on a different thread, but I'm going to call "boogeyman" on it.
Yeah, it's probably not a big worry unless you're doing intensive QC on a production scale.

When I have a free keg, I'll split a batch and do a side-by-side. I know that when I emptied a gravity minikeg of Spaten into a corny, the beer tasted great but wouldn't keep a cap of foam. Not the same thing exactly, but....

I'll keep thinking that shaking beer is bad practice until I can prove/be proven that it isn't.

Edit, for a bit of a citation:
http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=17193
And this one:
Quote:
I agree that if you mash carefully, and transfer & package your beer gently without foaming the product, then you won't need anything else. Remember that beer generally foams only once. The proteins responsible for a creamy head are denatured once they foam and will not be available to form a head again.

Last edited by 944play; 08-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
944play
Recipes 

You won't have to guess which pour came from the keg that got agitated.

The thing is, the head didn't even form, so it's not so much an issue of retention.

img_0230.jpg  

Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Now that is interesting. I went with a hybrid method. I shook (side to side, not rolling it around) at 11psi for about a minute and a half and that was 4 or 5 days ago. I haven't touched it since and I plan on tapping it tonight. I'll send a pic. It's BM's Centennial Blonde.

P.S. In brewpubs, where they probably don't have a lot of space and need to move product (I am totally postulating on that) do they force carb or let kegs sit on gas to carbonate with time?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

944play: how did you get the one on the left to force-carb in just one week anyway?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
944play
Recipes 

It's probably very rare practice for a pro brewer to force carb in a keg. Similarly, it's rare for me to force carb in a liter bottle. It's preferable to batch carb naturally or with a stone:
http://www.meheen-mfg.com/tankcarb.html

IDK what you mean, Walker. This batch was kegged May 22.

Quick Reply