New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing at room temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Amiaji
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Force carbing at room temperature

Is there any reason you cant force carb at room temperature? I know it would take a higher pressure setting and probably more time but is there anything else? I would like to have my kegs carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaji View Post
Is there any reason you cant force carb at room temperature? I know it would take a higher pressure setting and probably more time but is there anything else? I would like to have my kegs carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.
Nope, you got the only two reasons why cooler temps are better. Room temp will work just fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. I like to condition my beer at room temp for a couple weeks after I put it in the keg. I am going to pick up a second regulator and tank tomorrow. It will be nice having the beer carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaji View Post
Thanks. I like to condition my beer at room temp for a couple weeks after I put it in the keg. I am going to pick up a second regulator and tank tomorrow. It will be nice having the beer carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.
I wonder if the high pressures required for forcecarbing at room temps won't substantially inhibit the yeasts conditioning action. I hope that someone who has tried it will chime in.

I am considering priming my kegs at room temps for 3wks or so to get the carb and conditioning effects. Then toss them in the fridge and load them with dispensing pressure.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just started kegging but have done this on my first 2 kegged batches. I just hit it with 23psi at room temp for a couple of weeks and then purge and set to 12 when it goes in the keezer. I'm not sure what the effects of the pressure are on the yeast (this would be a good experiment), but both beers have turned out great.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

I don't for certain have the answer to the pressure effects on yeast question, but here's my thinking: We prime bottles with dextrose, the bottles carbonate, and the beer continues to age and change for months/years, under pressure, in the bottle. So, carbonating a keg and storing at room/cellar temperature would essentially have the same effect (or lack thereof) on the yeast/beer, but with a larger volume of liquid.

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Quick Reply