Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing redux

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
howardgf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force carbing redux

Hi all, relative new guy here. Made 5 gallons 30+ years ago. Looked great, tasted like 'homebrew', sour. Didn't know about infections then. Anyway, I now have a corny full of great beer, and a fermenter full of another, soon to be great beer.
While waiting on my CO2 stuff to arrive, I got to thinking about dry ice forced carbing. I know that the first reaction of many is to talk about bottle bombs, etc., and how foolhardy it would be. I am hoping for a less panicky response, and info from anyone who has actually done this method of carbing, rather than philosophising about it.
Carbing in a corny, I have read, is done at about 30 pounds. A corny is good to over 100 pounds. Why couldn't one use a pressure relief and gauge , as used for transferring beer from one keg to another, set to 35 pounds, and simply put some reasonable quantity of dry ice in the keg of cold beer, being neither stupid, or pedantic, as to the quantity, sealing it up, and shaking the bejesus out of it (as you would with gas)? There's no way this setup would blow up, or make anything brittle, and I discount the level of 'crap' in store bought dry ice.
Just thinkin'. Thanks, H.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Well, I'm all about "easy" (as well as safe), and I'd just use some priming sugar in the keg. But if you want to try to do something like that, just use the appropriate safety gear and be safe!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
howardgf
Recipes 

Thanks Yooper. I'll eventually try the priming in the keg thing (too lazy to bottle), I am trying to keep the beer as clear, and uniformly carbed, as possible. I am going broke buying co2 duster cartridges to get my beer out of the corny (and into me), and carbonation is taking forever. H.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The release valves are supposed to blow around 80psi IIRC.

Really, it comes down to simple math. Figure out how much gas you need (molar weight) to carb up to 2.5 volumes in your sized keg, buy your hunk of dry ice, measure the correct weight and give'er.

Personally, i'd chill the keg as low as you could (4*C or about 40*F) and start with half of the required dry ice, shake N bake for a good 10 minutes, then repeat with the other half.

There's no reason it *shouldn't* work but the concern is about too much gas state CO2 being sublimated too quickly.

Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
howardgf
Recipes 

Hi Target. The relief valve I had in mind is advertised by brew shops as a separate item that goes on the receiving corny gas post. It has a gauge and adjustable valve that allows gas to escape while transferring beer from one corny to another, as in filtering. No calculating necessary, which is a good thing for me. h.

Quick Reply