Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force Carbing ginger ale with a soda siphon THEN bottling...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
BigTim559
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force Carbing ginger ale with a soda siphon THEN bottling...

I purchased an isi soda siphon. Instructions say it is only for carbonating water but I am experimenting with making ginger ales and root beers.

According to the instructions the small Co2 canister you attach shoots all it's contents into the canister at once. Then you are supposed to shake the canister and pull the trigger to dispense.

My question is this... If I were to allow the Co2 more time to carbonating the drink and absorb into the liquid... could I dispense directly to a bottle and quickly cap it? I am not expecting it to stay carbonating for months... but if i could get 2 weeks I would be excited.

It would appear a lot of the Co2 would be lost while dispensing the drink. Could I (safely) unscrew the cap and then pour the soda into bottles or would it be hazardous due to the pressure?

The model I bought:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...el-Soda-Siphon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
BigTim559
Recipes 

Update: Bottled one as a test last night. Ginger Ale was roughly room temperature and beyond shaking the canister I didn't allow much time for the Co2 to absorb. As expected the bottle was so lightly carbonated this morning it was hardly noticeable.

I just applied Co2 to very cold ginger ale and I have been shaking every few minutes. I'm going to allow the Co2 a few hours and some more shaking to absorb. I am also going to use some tubing so that I can try to prevent losing so much carbonation when dispensing from the canister. I had so much foam on the first test due to it spraying with a lot of force into the bottom of the bottle.

Wish me luck.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
TheKeggingPart
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How'd the experiment work out? Any update?

Quick Reply