The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing in basement, then moving to fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
cabot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Force carbing in basement, then moving to fridge

I am having a major brain fart here. I have 2 kegs on tap in my bar but in the spirit of being a homebrewer, I have a few other kegs of beer in the basement waiting for their turn. Now, I have a 20lb CO2 tank (regulator on it's way)...I should be able to carb the kegs-in-waiting at room temp, so that when they are called for duty in the bar then can be changed out and ready to drink once they cool down?

If my understanding is correct I can use the carbonation chart and carb them (30'ish PSI I think...not looking at it right now) at room temp, then when their turn comes up, blow off the co2 in the headspace, and put them in the bar fridge hooked up at serving pressure (10-11psi), giving me a seamless transition?

Are there any holes in my plan here? I know that other homebrewers accomplish this, I had just never given it serious thought until I found myself with a spare co2 tank.

I hope this post/question makes sense, thanks guys (and girls)!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carbonate at basement temperature all the time. Works just fine for me. I typically put it at 20 PSI for a day or two, monitoring and adjusting as I go.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

That's all it takes.

I'm seriously jealous on the basement. They don't build them around here, because they would be full of water in the winter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
2001SE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot View Post
If my understanding is correct I can use the carbonation chart and carb them (30'ish PSI I think...not looking at it right now) at room temp, then when their turn comes up, blow off the co2 in the headspace, and put them in the bar fridge hooked up at serving pressure (10-11psi), giving me a seamless transition?
I want to do the same, when you put the 30 PSI do you have to leave it connected to the co2 tank all a long, or you just put the 30 PSI disconect it and when you want to use put it back on the co2?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SE View Post
I want to do the same, when you put the 30 PSI do you have to leave it connected to the co2 tank all a long, or you just put the 30 PSI disconect it and when you want to use put it back on the co2?

When carbing, you will want constant pressure until you are all carbed up. The inital blast of 30psi CO2 will not last and will be absorbed by the beer. Keeping the pressure turned on will ensure that the CO2 is properly in solution.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Measure your basement temp, refer to chart, set pressure and leave it connected for 3 weeks.

When the kegger position/tap opens up, remove that keg from the basement gas, chill it down over night (do NOT vent the pressure until the beer is cold), vent, apply serving pressure (which should also be derived from the charts based on beer temp and desired carb level).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks folks, great information as always. Why no-venting of the pressure until the beer is cold? Wouldn't that extra pressure get absorbed when the beer gets cold, then overcarbing your beer?

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot View Post
Thanks folks, great information as always. Why no-venting of the pressure until the beer is cold? Wouldn't that extra pressure get absorbed when the beer gets cold, then overcarbing your beer?
The pressure overall will drop when the beer gets cold. The small amount of extra CO2 absorbed from the headspace will only serve to maintain the pressure balance between the air and beer.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Moonshae is right. Boyle's law asserts that pressure and volume are inversely proportional to each other at fixed temperature. You can rearrange that to say given the same volume, pressure goes down proportionally with temperature. 30 psi at 70f will reduce to 15psi at 35f in a sealed system.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice, makes perfect sense! Thanks

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Quick Reply