Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing 2 kegs at same time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
snowman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

you can get by without leaving the co2 hooked up no problem. I switch my tank between various kegs, I can pour a whole buncha pints from a keg before giving it another shot of co2, I just insure that after the drinking is done that there is around 10psi when left to sit.... if you have no leaks it will hold the pressure without being hooked to the tank.

Aside from conditioning factors, carbonation is carbonation whether it is done with force or over time at lower pressure, it is just a matter of dissolving an amount of co2 in the beer. Cold temp and pressure helps the co2 dissolve quicker, as well as agitating the keg. Lately I've been doing it out in 30 to 35 deg temps overnight in my garage. I kegged a stout yesterday and just had a glass for lunch, it is wonderful. The day before I did a black IPA and was drinking that yesterday.

I've only been kegging for a few weeks, once you play around with force carbing a bit the mystery disappears.... just keep it as cold as possible and after about 36 hours take a sample every day, be sure to release the pressure first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
you can get by without leaving the co2 hooked up no problem. I switch my tank between various kegs, I can pour a whole buncha pints from a keg before giving it another shot of co2, I just insure that after the drinking is done that there is around 10psi when left to sit.... if you have no leaks it will hold the pressure without being hooked to the tank.

Aside from conditioning factors, carbonation is carbonation whether it is done with force or over time at lower pressure, it is just a matter of dissolving an amount of co2 in the beer. Cold temp and pressure helps the co2 dissolve quicker, as well as agitating the keg. Lately I've been doing it out in 30 to 35 deg temps overnight in my garage. I kegged a stout yesterday and just had a glass for lunch, it is wonderful. The day before I did a black IPA and was drinking that yesterday.

I've only been kegging for a few weeks, once you play around with force carbing a bit the mystery disappears.... just keep it as cold as possible and after about 36 hours take a sample every day, be sure to release the pressure first.
agreed with all said.........if you really agitate it, at 30-35psi........then let it sit for a hour or so you can drink it a few hours after kegging.........

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You can hit them once or twice a day with 30 psi. I do this with mine at 33F and they are usually carbed where I like them in 4-5 days. No shaking necessary. I do this because my keezer has no collar yet and my co2 is external.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Soumor
Recipes 

The high pressure "shaking trick" will work well to boost the first part of the carbonation, you will always have to stabilize to 12psi or around. The other way yo can do it is far more simple but takes time. Just plug your uncarbed keg to your CO2 line at 12psi, you will be able to pour the actually carbonated beer and the uncarbed one will carbonate with time, it will take about 10 days to stabilize. Note that the beer in contact of pressure cannot do otherwise than stabilize the only factor is time, and the beer temp will affect the time factor. A beer forced carb the slow way will be more stable and consistent on the first pours. For my experience, I prefer my beers to rest a minimum of one week at pouring temp after secondary, it stabilize the hops flavors and esters it also clear the beer a little more.

-------------
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged:
Next: Belgian Blonde

Quick Reply