Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carbing 2 kegs at same time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Force carbing 2 kegs at same time

Only have 1 regulator, 1 gas line and 5# bottle of CO2 but have 2 beers already kegged and one more coming up in a week Almost too much beer at once (if there is such a thing). Can I give a shot of 30 psi in one keg, disconect from CO2 bottle and leave it for 36 hours while other keg is hooked up @ 12 psi for a week or so?
I'm planning on getting T or X connector evenually to add more lines, I just have not sourced parts yet and beer is waiting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You have to keep the CO2 connected until the beer is carbonated, one shot at 30 psi won't do the trick. You could shake force the first one. Takes about 15 minutes.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

force 2 kegs with 5# all the time.........fill the kegs.....pressure them to 30psi to seal them...........then choose one, put it on 30 psi, shake it for 60-90 seconds and let sit under 30psi for an hour......then relieve pressure to about 10-15 psi........

then switch the gas line to the other keg and repeat the process........once carbed, keep under 15psi pressure until serving, then drop it to your pouring pressure.....i have done this process everytime, and it works perfectly every time......

worst case is if i get to tapping keg #2 and its a little light on CO2, i hook it up and let it sit at 30 psi for an hour or so then bring it back down, works great.......

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
deanfootlong
Recipes 

why not just get a splitter and hit both of them with 30 for a day or two. then drop down and serve them both when they are both equally carbed?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
paraordnance
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboysbrew View Post
force 2 kegs with 5# all the time.........fill the kegs.....pressure them to 30psi to seal them...........then choose one, put it on 30 psi, shake it for 60-90 seconds and let sit under 30psi for an hour......then relieve pressure to about 10-15 psi........

then switch the gas line to the other keg and repeat the process........once carbed, keep under 15psi pressure until serving, then drop it to your pouring pressure.....i have done this process everytime, and it works perfectly every time......

worst case is if i get to tapping keg #2 and its a little light on CO2, i hook it up and let it sit at 30 psi for an hour or so then bring it back down, works great.......
Great, I just on the way to pick up my first CO2 fill and will do "shake-and-bake" cheating method for one of the kegs. Actually one batch of Pilsner I have in a keg is somewhat naturally carbed with priming sugar, its just not carbonated enough. I will shake the sh@t out of it tonight and carb my Kolsch at 12 psi for a week

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
paraordnance
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboysbrew View Post

Do you shake it with gas connected? How about beer getting in line?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I only have two taps but I have no problems getting my extra two kegs carb'ed using the same line per your original post.

If you try to slow-carb them using c02 they have to be on constant supply. But if you are going to force carb either by shaking or high pressure (30-45 psi on a cold keg in the fridge), it works fine. Reapply pressure or double-check often.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
tele_powder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
Shake with the gas connected, get a QD and another Force carbonating line so when you do get beer in the line, and you will eventually, you can just rinse it right out and your primary line does not have beer juice in it. Well worth the $30

regards,
-j

Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Run to the hardware store or lowes you can make a cheap easy splitter for under $10 to get you by until you buy a real one with check valves.

Lowes I know for sure has PVC 1/4 barb T's for like $3 or so.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
If you have enough pressure on it, beer doesn't get in the gas line..........if you have 30psi pushing while your shaking, beer can't back up into the line.......occasionally we break down the line and clean it out if something gets in there, but haven't had any problems in recent past......

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Quick Reply