Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carb or naturally carb a barleywine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
turkeyjerky214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Force carb or naturally carb a barleywine?

I'm getting ready to bottle a barleywine I brewed last summer and have been bulk aging in a keg ever since. My original plan was to force carbonate it and then bottle off the keg, but I'm starting to think about naturally carbing instead.

Does beer age differently when it's naturally carbed and there's that little bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottle as opposed to beer that's been force carbed?

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I am getting ready to do the same thing. I have a barleywine bulk aging in a keg for the last 3 months. My plan is to add sugar to the keg, swirl to mix while under CO2, and then bottle. Essentially using my keg as a bottling bucket. I think bottle conditioning will be great for a BW. It should keep any oxidation to a minimum and help it age.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anyone else?

That's a good idea to mix in the priming sugar in the keg so you can make sure you get a good, even mix. If I go the natural carbing route, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Quick Reply