Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Brentk14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force carb

Hey guys I am going to force carb my beer tonight, first timer here. I keep seeing people write about putting the co2 on the beer line and pressurizing so that the co2 has to go through the beer to get to the top. You recommend this? I am going to try to force carb by setting it at 12-14 psi at 42 deg roll around a bit and wait. tell me what you think about the beer line pressure though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The best way requires patience, but is the easiest. Connect your chilled keg to gas, set it to 12 psi and wait a week.

If you want the speed method, you need to chill the keg before trying to carb it. Once it is chilled, you can crank it up to 30 psi while you roll the keg for about 10 minutes. Put it back in the fridge and let it sit for while. Disconnect the gas, dial down the PSI to serving pressure, vent the keg, reconnect the gas, and serve beer.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Brentk14
Recipes 

I am not really in any hurry just want to make sure it gets carb'ed So you wouldnt recommend the beer line out as a co2 introducer?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk14
I am not really in any hurry just want to make sure it gets carb'ed So you wouldnt recommend the beer line out as a co2 introducer?
No...don't do that.

If you want to speed the process along, my usual routine is:

Place keg in cooler (duh!!)
Hook up gas and set at 30PSI (do not shake, rattle or roll)
At 36 hours, shut off gas, release excess pressure from keg, set gas to 12 PSI and give it another few hours.

It works for me every time.
Mase Likes This 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk14
Since you don't have an aeration stone at the end of the out tube, the bubbles will be so large, no CO2 (or very little) will be absorbed by the beer. It's also a great way to kill a regulator by getting beer in it if you're not careful.

If I'm in a rush (I'm pretty impatient ), I chill the beer to serving temp, dial up my regulator to about 25 PSI and put the corny across my lap (sitting in a chair). I roll the keg gently back and forth across my thigh, you can actually hear more CO2 come in from the tank as the beer is absorbing the gas. After about 40 rolls, I disconnect the gas, vent the keg and back down to about 10 psi, reconnect the gas and continue rolling until I can't hear the gas coming in anymore. Test the beer and decide if you need more carbonation, in which case you can increase pressure and continue rocking the keg. You should probably test the beer along the way to make sure you don't over do it. De-carbonating a full keg can take awhile, although you can get pretty loaded if you "test" too often.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Temperature has a large effect on force carbonation. Their are several absorption spreadsheets available throughout the net where you can determine what pressure and temp will produce the target volumes of CO2. I would look into this and let the keg sit for a week, the resulting carbonation will of a much higher quality.

Here is the sheet I use:

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com...rbonation.html

Cheers!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Brentk14
Recipes 

Well guys, I figured I would just let you know that all my worrying was worthless. I tried my beer that had I kegged last Thursday and it turned out great. Perfect amount of cabonation. I used the method of setting it at serving temp and serving psi. rolled it alittle to get contact with co2 and then let it do its thing. I also decided to put a 1 oz of hops in a cheese cloth bag and I am suprised to say the aroma from them came through quickly. The beer didnt really have a nose to it before, but not its a nice hoppy touch. Thanks for all the help guys, I would probably still be standing in my kitchen staring at my beer and my keg trying to figure out what do do if it wasnt for this site.

Up next, kegging my Wit tonight. Should be fun.

Just finished: Mac & Jack's African Amber Clone
Just finished: Hybrid German Hef
Hef was tapped friday night and amber was tapped saturday at noon. Both were gone by 11pm. Gotta love my sons first birthday party.
Up Next: Might try a Porter...any easy recommendations?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
GulfCoaster
Recipes 

I read about force carbing via the out fitting. Using my gas line ball quick disconnect on the out post- it got stuck. Took a lot of effort to get the quick disconnect removed.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
MyMistake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've used all three methods here and they all work. If my kegerator is empty, 30PSI and shake it. If the beer needs more time to mature, I leave it on 12PSI untouched for a week to 10 days. I like the 30PSI and leave it for a day and a half. It seems like a good compromise.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoaster View Post
I read about force carbing via the out fitting. Using my gas line ball quick disconnect on the out post- it got stuck. Took a lot of effort to get the quick disconnect removed.
if you are going to attempt this you need to take the gas connector off and put a liquid qd on the end of your gas line, they are not the same size.

Quick Reply