Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Foamy beer lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
phlchuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Foamy beer lines

Hi, I'm having an issue and wanted to see if anyone out there had some encouraging feedback....It involves a dark IPA that I eagerly want to enjoy

I'm working on my first kegging experience and am getting nothing but foam in the lines right from the corney. I filled the keg about 2 weeks ago and shot it with about 12-15psi and stored it (room temp) while I finished another store bought keg that was in my kegerator. That said, after a week of being stored at room temp, I started carbonating in the kegerator for about a week now around 12-15psi.

While in the kegerator for a few days, I got eager to test and tried to pour a beer and it barely dripped out. I figured it was lack of carbonation and gave it a few more days. When I checked today it was still the same so I started doing more research. I turned off the gas, took off the QD and hooked up the gas to the out line to flush out the dip tube. Once I rehooked up the beer out and gas in, the flow started coming....but was almost all foam. Now, since this is an IPA, I will assume there was hop residue initially clogging, but now that the flow seems to be going, why so much foam? I have purged the keg and reset the regulator to about 8psi.

Before a fart around with this keg too much, I was looking for some feedback...

Potential issues after reading other posts:
* length of beer line hose (only about 5')
* time of carbonation (need another week?)
* tapping keg while pressurizing/carbonating keg
* lack of patience...taking a sample pour every few days
* 5gal corney only filled about 3.5gal

I think given the fact that my kegs will most likely sit at room temp before tapping, I will prime the kegs once filled. I am also going to invest in longer beer line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
jessebymail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Weird that it is foamy after a few days and carbonating warm, did you shake it? It may take time to settle if you did. A smaller ID line will givr you more resistance, what size is yours? Also colder beer loses less co2 so whats your serving temp? I get my beer to serving temp, put it at about 14 psi and shake, then let it set a week connected to co2. 5 ft of 3/16 line at 40 degrees and 14 psi works good for me. Carb at your serving temp and serving psi if possible and give it time.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
phlchuck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebymail View Post
Weird that it is foamy after a few days and carbonating warm, did you shake it? It may take time to settle if you did. A smaller ID line will givr you more resistance, what size is yours? Also colder beer loses less co2 so whats your serving temp? I get my beer to serving temp, put it at about 14 psi and shake, then let it set a week connected to co2. 5 ft of 3/16 line at 40 degrees and 14 psi works good for me. Carb at your serving temp and serving psi if possible and give it time.
I have about 5' of 3/16 line. I need to get a thermostat, but the kegerator is set at one of the higher setting so it shouldn't be too cold/freezing.

No, I didn't shake it. I carb'd it warm only when i first filled the keg and that was with a quick shot of about 10-12psi. Then it sat for a week at room temp.

I'll get a thermostat today and set the C02 at serving psi and be patient...or try to right now it is at about 8psi as I was concerned of over carbonating.

Quick Reply