New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > foamy beer on every first pour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This would work well, but (correct me if 'm wrong gurus) this is not a balanced system, and over time you beer would lose pressure and not be consistently carbed (or gain pressure and be over carbed I guess if serving pressure ends up being higher than required for desired carb level). This is theory and i don't know how long it would actually take to flatten the beer back out. It depends on how many units CO2 you want and what the serving pressure ends up being for his pour. This is where the proper diameter and length hose comes into play.
This is correct. You ideally want to serve at your ideal carbonation pressure, and adjust the pressure at the faucet with resistance via height change/line length/line diameter.

OP - I have heard of people having foaming problems due to the arrangement of their lines... if your lines are above your faucets at any point, this allows entrapped CO2 coming out of solution to rise within the tubing and collect at the high point within the tubing. This CO2 pocket can produce a surprising amount of foam when released. I do not have experience with this problem but have read about it. It seems the solution was to make sure your faucets were the highest part of your system.

Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm having the same issue. It s*cks having to waste the first little bit to foam, if I just keep pouring instead of pouring out the foam i end up with a whole pint of flat beer. Did you solve your problem?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
Parva
Recipes 

I run my beer through a flash chiller at a constant 10PSI. The first pint always has a large head on it but it pours perfectly after that for 30 minutes or so. The reason that the first pint is always too 'foamy' is that the CO2 in the beer creates airlocks in the line, both prior to and after the flash chiller. The CO2 comes out of solution in the line and my beer tap 'splutters' and creates much foam.

I'll look into a solution to this but ultimately pour more, drink faster.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"OP - I have heard of people having foaming problems due to the arrangement of their lines... if your lines are above your faucets at any point, this allows entrapped CO2 coming out of solution to rise within the tubing and collect at the high point within the tubing. This CO2 pocket can produce a surprising amount of foam when released. I do not have experience with this problem but have read about it. It seems the solution was to make sure your faucets were the highest part of your system" quote

thanks for this info boerderij - i have a 4 tap keggerator and 3 taps pour fine but the 4th is all foam - i will check the layout of the lines as the 4th is the last one i hooked up and its lines are jammed on top of the others

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Last edited by rod; 11-06-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The lines are at the top of your cooling chamber where it is noticeably warmer than the beer. CO2 comes out of solution in the lines and pushes the beer back down into the keg. A circulating fan should help but putting 10' of 3/16" ID lines really is the secret to manageable pours.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #16
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I might have missed something but what temp is your beer at?

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Quick Reply