Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Flavor change when bottled

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Flavor change when bottled

I posted another thread about the esters I got from Cooper's yeast when fermented even at 63 degrees. I had two other beers in the same place, neither had that problem, but different yeasts were used. Anyway, my question is this. I tried a little glass of the stuff as I was bottling and it was damn good. I couldn't wait to crack one open. So I waited the barebones amount of days, which in this case was under a week. I cracked one open and it was ester city. Why wouldn't it have tasted this way before bottling?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not really sure why it would become more estery after bottling. Maybe it is just your perception of it that changed? I find that I tend to discount some off flavors at bottling time because I attribute them to being a characteristic of the beer's youth. It is not unusual for me to have a keener perception and more critical palette when opening a bottle several weeks later.

But aging it longer, say a couple of months, may help. I found that to be the case with some of my estery beers.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts

I've found that the flavor changes once I add the priming sugar, it seems like it needs to ferment out and clean up.. that takes a few weeks then it tastes right again.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was just my perception of it, or if there was really a slight change. Maybe a little of both!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Quick Reply