Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Flat beer from keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
epic501j
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flat beer from keg?

Hi
Im kinda knew to kegging first time i did it came out awsome.Last two have been flat tasting,Im doing everything the same.For some reason the beer just taste flat even though there is head on the beer.
Ive got the beer at about 12 psi was running it lower but didnt seem to get that good of head.i tried the shake trick at first to get it carbed up real quick,and its been in there for about 3 weeks and still taste flat to me and everyone else.the last batch was the same way,but the cork had got knocked off the carboy so i thought maybe it had gotten contaminated and thats why it didnt taste good.Anyways i know the keg wasnt sanitized it was rinsed out, is that casuing this? This is a combined effort with me and my friend I always come over and make it and hes been kegging them.Any advice much apperciated.
im using a corny keg and its in mini fridege,with the hose ran out the top if any of that matters.
thanks

Last edited by epic501j; 07-23-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

A good head won't mean good carbonation. How long is your hose and is it a normal beverage line (thick walls...very narrow openning).

If your hose is too short (insert SWMBO comment jokes here) then you'll lose a lot of carbonation because there is not enough resistance to keep the beer pressurized during the pour.

I have good luck with 5-6 feet of hose. The other thing is, before your pour, set your PSI down to about 8....bleed off the excess pressure from the keg...and then pour. Sometimes, too much serving pressure can push the beer to hard and result in a large head but little retained carbonation.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
epic501j
Recipes 

Hi
Im guessing the hose is about 4 foot maybe a little less maybe a little more but id say more likely less,the setup is at my friends.We do all the brewing there.Im not sure what kind of hose it is.A buddy of mine let me borrow the setup indefinetly.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic501j
Hi
Im guessing the hose is about 4 foot maybe a little less maybe a little more but id say more likely less,the setup is at my friends.We do all the brewing there.Im not sure what kind of hose it is.A buddy of mine let me borrow the setup indefinetly.
I would definitly check to make sure you're using a beverage hose. Get that length up to 6 feet, turn down your PSI when you serve and see if that helps.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
epic501j
Recipes 

well swung bye the brew store and they told me i should crank up the preasure to 40 lbs and that id never get any carbonation at 12 psi

Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
well swung bye the brew store and they told me i should crank up the preasure to 40 lbs and that id never get any carbonation at 12 psi
Just remember to back it down after a couple days. I don't think you want to be serving w/ 40 psi.
On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Chris_K

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
There's a "fast carb" technique that involves 40 psi and rocking your chilled keg on your knee, but you wouldn't leave it at 40psi for very long. That's more CO2 than what soda has, and there aren't any beer styles that call for that much pressure.

I usually carb my wheat beers around 16psi at 44 deg F, and have used 12 psi at that temp before as well. You'll get carbonation for sure.

What temp are you kegs at? What style of beer? That should at least tell you the proper settings to get to the styles CO2 levels.
Primary #1-Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2- Empty
Secondary #1- Empty
Kegged- Cream Ale
Someday/ Maybe/ Getting There- 'California Common', Impromptu IPA, Imperial Stout

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

40 PSI seems way to hi to me. I usually force carbonate at 25 PSi for 5-7 days;.

Then release most of the pressure to serve. Then I'll crank it back up to 10-12 PSI for storage and release to serve again. I'm sure this uses more CO2 but I like my beer with a lot of carbonation some folks don't.

Like muncher says you can dispense at a hi pressure get a big head but you have released most of the CO2 and the beer will taste flat.
That's the reason I dispense at a level just barely sufficent to push the beer out.

That being said, not having a clean and sanitized cornie is a pretty sure fire way to mess your beer up.

Last edited by abracadabra; 07-25-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
...I dispense at a level just barely sufficent to push the beer out...
I have a friend who say he carbs his cornies, de-gasses, sets his gage on 0 (zero), opens his tap (glass underneath, or use a friend), then slowly turns the screw to add pressure to push the beer. When he gets the brew looking/pouring good he stops turning the screw and leaves it there.

Says it works for him all the time.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Man, people really need some educating on how to balance their kegging system! All this talk about 40 psi, barely any psi, it doesn't make any sense. You determine the CO2 volumes you want to carbonate at, the temperature you're serving at, the required psi, and the appropriate line length so its got the right serving pressure. Then you set your reg, let it carb (maybe a week), and serve at the same pressure. Simple.

Here's a good link: http://www.hbd.org/clubs/franklin/pu...s/balance.html

For the typical beers that I keep on tap, at the temperatures I serve, that usually means 11-13 psi with 5 ft of beer line.

Quote:
Before you accept any advice these knuckleheads give you, check here first.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 07-25-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply